1903 springfield

boris

Inactive
Hopefully one of the guys from the old springfield forum migrated here after they closed.I need some help.I purchased the following rifle in an auction by mistake (absentee bid/ wrong lot number) should i take it for 450? It is a 1903 springfield , 26 inch heavy barrel, 1381330 serial number(which puts it in the 1930-31 range i am told) , it is obviously in a target stock, has an excellent barrel and is tapped for a scope (rear base in place). i know little about these. i think i want to take it to the range to see how it shoots.

Attachments

• 1903.jpg
    1903.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
A couple of years ago C.M.P. had Springfield's that were going for about $450 in stock form.But it looks like an old school target rifle,so as a lover of all things Springfield and Garand I'd go for it.

An old school match rifle on Springfield action with heavy barrel, Redfield sights, stock like a Winchester Marksman except with the pistol grip slimmed down, headless cocking piece, different trigger. Looks like the bolt handle has been slimmed down and bent down. Is that a scope base on the reciever bridge or just the hump to clear the safety lug? If so, is it drilled and tapped on the receiver ring or barrel?

I don't know about the dollar value but it looks like a nice old rifle.

Hard to tell from the pics but looks like a Sporterized 1903, not collectable. If you can get out of it do so.
If not it should make a good shooter

Hence the "Couple of years ago"Last 1903 i bought was $175,last Garand was $165 through the DCM.Those days are long gone and never to be seen again.I'd still get this rifle for the same reason I'd like one of the K98's that Norway converted over to 6.5 with a heavy barrel,they just look right.

Fair Price

For a M1903 even if the "collector's" value is gone. IIRC some of the rifles from that period were made into target or match rifles by the military for the Nationals. Please don't quote me I have to go to look this up. I'll try to get back to this ASAP.

I'm Back

To further confuse the issue.

In both Campbell and Lt Col Brophy's books on the Springfield 1903 there is mention of an NRA DCM match rifle from near the time you have mentioned. These rifles have a headless cocking piece and a REVERSED SAFETY. The safety will go counter clockwise to lock the rifle in SAFE.
The last year the DCM offered this rifle for sale was 1932 and the price was listed at $42.50. Quite a lot of money in the midst of the Great Depression. Fitted with the Lyman #48 Receiver Sight. This is not the front sight that is shown in the photo you posted, the front sight is wrong. There were two other receiver sights mentioned, the Nash and the Hatcher. From a quick skim of the chapter in Campbell's book I'm thinking the the other two sight are on .22LR rifles.
Buy it and if you are not satisfied I'll buy it for the price you stated plus shipping.

Last edited:
thanks p5 guy. very helpfull info. i am hoping that the rifle has evolved since late 1931 early 32 . i wish i had a better photo but i will wait until it comes to take my own and then i will share them.The barrel markings will tell me a lot along with a close intial inspection. If i am lucky someone filled lyman sight tap holes on the right side with screws and added the other sight as a preference along with the a new front sight set up well after the rifle was made. i will probably join the springfield research service this week so i can run the number.. as i said in my mail a million to one shot that it is a match rifle (so few were made) but it is the research coupled with the remote chance of sucess that becomes addictive. it has been tapped for a period unertl or lyman scope. i did not want the rifle maybe it is fate.

Last edited:
Grey Beards have told me the match rifle category went through a number of changes in NRA competition.

One gentleman told me that once a match rifle had to be 30-06, fixed buttplate, weigh under 10 lbs. I don't know if you were allowed a movable handstop.

Rules changed as the military influence waned.

It is impossible through one picture to really date this rifle but I think it was made into a match rifle 50's/60's.

Shooters who could, used M70 actions as they are stiffer, less prone to breaking parts, and the bolt lift effortless compared to 03 actions.

There are always people who build match rifles around old military actions, basically because they like the old actions. However once they get serious, they find these military actions are holding them back in competition.

Your rifle should shoot as to the level of barrel quality and bedding.

I shoot Mostly david tubbs' stuff Salmfire but for some reason remain addicted to the old stuff on the collector side. just something about those old springfields.this one falls into an interesting nm series serial number range. thus the long shot gamble.

Last edited:
Back