1903 springfield safe?

dog1

I have a 1903 springfield rechambered for 270 win, and I need to know if it is safe to shoot. I heard that the metal used in the rec of low numbered 1903's is weak. Is that true? mine is numbered 5941**. If it is true, what is the cutoff number the unsafe ones. Thanks.

The cutoff for the badly heat treated ones is 250,000.
Your should be fine. Note that not all of those under 250,000 were bad, but enough were to cause serious concerns for all of them.

thanks for the info, I sure am glad I can keep shooting it. it is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned, Just wish I knew who rebarreled it.

Hi, guys,

I don't know where those serial numbers are coming from, but the cut-off numbers are 800,000 for Springfield Armory, and 285,507 for Rock Island.

So, Dog1, unless you have a Rock Island rifle, you have a so-called "low number". Many have been fired extensively over the years with no problem, but some were brittle and could fail. The problem is that there is no way to tell, short of destructive testing, which is which. I recommend not firing it.

Jim

Uh, yeah, I'm with Jim on this, sorry about the number thing.
I aslo recommend that since you are not firing it, you sell it to me really cheap, so as to save yourself some closet space...

Back