1903 Sporter stuck action screws.

Polinese

Months ago I bought a sporterized (nicely) Springfield 1903. I finally started fiddling with it, mounting up the scope and decided I'd give it a full cleaning as well.

I cannot get the action screws to budge...

Broke a flathead screwdriver trying to undo the one screw. Tried heating em up a bit and still no dice.

Any suggestions?

A sturdy surface and impact driver are probably in order.

If that doesn't work a dremel diamond bit making a center divit in the screw followed up by drilling the head off might be in order.

If all else fails, try to tighten them just a little and that might help to break them loose. Once you get them out be sure to clean the threads, you might have to get one of those tools (thread chaser) that cleans the threads but doesn't cut them.

Last edited:
Try to get some penetrating oil around the heads, and if the holes are accessible from inside the action, there also.

Wait a day and see if you can get them to release, using a screwdriver that fits the slot perfectly. Grind one to fit if necessary.

Sometimes it helps to clamp the rifle in a padded vise and hit the end of the screwdriver with a mallet as you try to turn it (counter-clockwise, of course).

Managed to get them out last night with the extra leverage from my torque wrench. The front action screw, the threads and bolt hole are completely covered in rust which is where the problem came from.

I had already ordered new action screws but how do I clean the rust out of the hole now?

Tap

Go slow with the bottom tap; 1/2 turn, back up a bit and turn again. Repeat u ntil you feel the bottom. Do not force the tap.

Good luck.

"...rust out of the hole..." Any rust remover like plain white vinegar. Allof 'em will strip the bluing too. A tap will clean the threads, but won't remove rust.

Well I didn't go out to buy any stuff but using a small bore brush and some CLP I seem to have gotten the vast majority of the rust out of the hole and off the threads, both screws go in and out as they should now. Still gonna swap em with the replacements since I messed up the heads of the screws taking em out the first time.

Ive chucked a .22 caliber bronze bruch in my Foredom tool and soaked the threads with hoppes, and gave the threads a good whirling for a half minute, this cleans them nicely. Then g96 the screws, letting them soak overnight, and with a dremel wire wheel, I slick those up nice..

Back