IMG_20130215_195335.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20130215_195041.jpg
    IMG_20130215_195041.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20130215_195131.jpg
    IMG_20130215_195131.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 109
You have an $800 rifle in unaltered condition.

Once you drill and tap the receiver, you will have a $300 rifle.

Seriously.

Sell it to a collector and use the money to buy a high end Remington 700 and scope. The 700 will be much more accurate than the 1903 and the collector will be happy too.

so I will have to modify it permanently to mount a scope for the rifle?

The mount in the link is an S&K no drill mount. Even though it's no drill, you need to remove some wood in the stock under the barrel to make room for the barrel band that hold down the front of the sight. PLUS you will need high rings so that your bolt doesn't hit your scope...that makes a cheek weld into a chin weld:( I say keep your fine old rifle in the condition it is now and buy another modern rifle with a scope on it.

"No drill" scope mounts aren't worth beans because they are not durable. After you miss your shot at Bambi, you'll cuss & fuss because the mount is loose.

And some "no drill" mounts require you to cut chunks out of the stock, which is almost as bad as drilling the receiver.

was going to get something along the lines of semi-auto rifle next. But, we'll see if my budget will let me. Trying to save for the TAR-21 went it comes out.

DnPRK said:
"No drill" scope mounts aren't worth beans because they are not durable. After you miss your shot at Bambi, you'll cuss & fuss because the mount is loose.

And some "no drill" mounts require you to cut chunks out of the stock, which is almost as bad as drilling the receiver.

It must depend on the rifle as I have several mil-surps with "no drill" mounts, Brit No4's and Swiss K31's, no problems at all, mounts are rock solid and they get ten times the uses as the average deer rifle.

Thanks, the rifle will stay unchanged then. This rifle is too legendary to screw up and I will be keeping it.

Right decision!

Y
ou have an $800 rifle in unaltered condition.

Once you drill and tap the receiver, you will have a $300 rifle.

Seriously.

agreed

Sell it to a collector and use the money to buy a high end Remington 700 and scope. The 700 will be much more accurate than the 1903 and the collector will be happy too.

1903 will shoot with any modern gun, but you can get a good modern bun with scope for less than a keeper 1903 is worth (and you can't scope a 1903 without some damage to the stock)

I have two of the SK mounts. They are not going to come loose. They are solid, solid solid.

They do have drawbacks in that they are too high and cheek weld is an issue , but it is the price to pay for a non intrusive ( no quite totally on the 1903, the one on the 1917 is totally non intrusive).

Frankly they would make good hunting scopes as its not a match shot (maybe not a good snap shot ability but I am not inclined to those anyway)

They are less friendly as target shooting but do allow that if your eyes cannot see iron sights and you do not want to wreck a collector gun.

If for a 1903 you could buy (find used) a sacrificial 1903 stock in sporter and put it in that for shooting.

So, an option, to be considered and not dismissed out of hand as not solid, even if not perfect cheek weld.

Another question. Does anyone have any insight in the sights on this rifle, usage, adjustment, etc? If you need a better picture of them let me know.

Thanks

Back