1903 Model M question

penguin

Inactive
I recently received a gun that was my great grandfathers. It is a 1925 Colt 1903 .32 ACP. The gun has the matching serial number 462XXX. Now, this appears to fall in line with the serial number for the Type III built in 1925-1926; however, the gun doesn't look like a Type III. It looks like a Type IV. I had a theory that this may have been built at the end of the production life for the Type III and the tooling was changed over and it was produced along side the Type III, but I'm not sure. I've asked some Colt people for some more insight. Do you have any info about this? Here are some photos:

I'm pretty sure he was the original owner. I plan on buying a few magazines, cleaning the barrel and firing mechanism up a bit and taking her to the range. However, I am not going to reblue it or repair any blemishes. To me, that adds to the character of the gun. My great-grandfather (Army WWI) gave it to my grandfather (Army-Air Corps WWII) who gave it to my uncle (Navy Vietnam) who gave it to my mom to give to me (Marine Corps). They would want me to make sure it gets its use like any good gun should. It will go to my nephew (he's 2) when he is responsible enough to know the significance behind it.

Any help is appreciated.

colt1.jpg

colt2.jpg

colt3.jpg

colt4.jpg

colt5.jpg

colt6.jpg

Last edited:
Colt M1903

Those are such elegant little guns . . .

Our local pistolsmith/commercial reloader collects those, along with S&W revolvers and Colt Detective Specials.

I used to work with a cop who carried an M1903 in .32 ACP as a backup gun. I enjoyed shooting it when we went out for firearms qual. He replaced it as a backup gun after a while (with what I don't remember) but kept the M1903 because he liked it, and he still has it, although he hasn't shot it in 5 years or so.

Most folks consider the Type IV as having the magazine safety; the starting serial was 468097. Judging by both the serial number and the recoil spring guide, that gun does not have a magazine safety, so it is a fairly late Type III.

I would take care of it, but it has obviously been reblued at some time, so the finish is not original. This is one of those cases where the dollar value is far exceeded by the sentimental value which is, as the commercial say, "priceless."

You can still get new barrels; Gun Parts Corp.(www.gunpartscorp.com) has them for around $85.

Jim

Thanks

Jim, thanks for the info and the PM. I agree, it is more sentimental than anything. Almost all the male members of my family on my mother's side have been in service since the revolutionary war.

heros.jpg

The below belonged the the original owner of this gun:
medals.jpg

Back