1903 Colt

BoogieMan

Finally was able to pick up this little gem that I bought over 4 months ago. I will post a few pics as soon as I find my camera and get it cleaned up. Looks like its been shot well then stored in a sock drawer for 50 years without being properly cleaned.
In the mean time. Does anyone know where I can find the proof mark information?
Left side of front trigger guard has 2 marks. Lower seems to be on all 1903's its a VP inside of a triangle. Above that near where the frame blends to the guard is RR overlapping. Right side is 60 near where the frame and guard blend. Inside of the slide is a 3, I assume this refers to a series 3. Other than that its a serial #37349X which makes it a 1920.

I'm pretty sure all the Colts from that era have the VP inside the triangle. It was put on the gun at the factory.
For the other marks it might be best to post pictures.

proof marks

True US made guns are not marked by a proof house as was common in Europe.
Winchester advertising proudly stated their guns were "Winchester Proofed" and stamped the barrels with a WP in an oval. And my Colts all bear the VP on the trigger guard.
Semantics, I guess...

Cartouche, Crest

A cartouche is typically a stamping on the stock indicating military acceptance.
Old military rifles often have the country crest on the top of the receiver ring, some miltary revolvers and pisols were marked with a crest as well.

Last edited:
"US made guns never exported don't have proof marks."

Yes and no.

US guns don't have proof marks indicating that they are tested by an independent third party, a proof house.

Many US-made guns from the major manufacturers are proofed with factory applied designations.

It was my understanding that "VP" on a Colt meant Viewed/Proofed (or words to that effect) in house by Colt.

Edit: Or was it "Verified Proof?"

Last edited:
Colt says it is "Verified Proof." All the major U.S. manufacturers prove their guns using standards identical to or in excess of those used by European proof houses. Colt, Remington, and Winchester have specific proof marks. Some, like S&W and Ruger fire their guns with excess pressure loads, but I don't know of specific marks. Kimber fires a single round that does not exceed SAAMI pressure specs, and so is really a test firing, not a proof firing. U.S. law does not require or even mention the proving of guns.

I also am not aware of countries requiring proof that honor any U.S. proof marks, even Remington's "REP" (Remington English Proof); their laws require that any gun imported from a country without a recognized government proof house be reproved under their laws.

Jim

Back