1903 A5

Bassthoven

Inactive
I have a shotgun that seems almost too good to be true. Its a Browning A5 made in 1903. Serial number 25xx. Thing is, came from a private collection of an old fellar with an affinity for high end collectibles, andnthis thing is like new. Perfect wood, bluing, not a single piece of evidence ever being fired. No polish marks, no worn screw holes, not a mark on a single screw. Researched every article I could on evidence of a firearm being reblued and refinished and every detail shows this to be an original firearm. Judging by other firearms he had, I'm not suprised. Plus, the other personal possessions of his were the same way (jeeps, harleys, john deeres), you get the picture. I purchased 3 other firearms that were also in like new never fired condition from the 50s and 60s, and my friend bought a couple that were as well. But those were easy to research. I really am not looking for offers, I don't wish to sell it. But old A5's really arent worth much. But then again, never heard of a first run model in unfired condition either. So, whats it worth???? Might trade it for a pair of 17th century Turkish dueling pistols...lol......or something:)

The sad fact is that shotguns generally don't bring anywhere near the prices of handguns or rifles, especially military rifles, of similar age and condition.

My aging copy of the Blue Book says a 100% condition standard Auto 5 (no special grade and w/o vent rib) as going at only $725. I doubt the value is much different today, but it might bring more at an auction if collectors got into a bidding war.

Jim

I would have to agree with James K. However, like he said, I think your best bet for selling would be at an auction, as at a buy it now price its not going to fetch more than $700-$800. Now, I think if you sold it as a "pristine condition" shotgun, you might get a higher price as people will want to buy it to have a perfect condition iconic Browning shotgun.

John

Congratulations on your Browning Patent Automatic Shotgun. Unfortunately, the generation of hunters that saw the Auto-5 as the best shotgun ever is rapidly dying off. The value of the old pre-1927 Auto-5 shotguns with the sliding "suicide safety" is even lower. Auto-5s made before the 1911 friction ring improvement and retrofitted are rare, possibly worth a bit more to the right person. But in general, values on Auto-5s have been dropping steadily since the late 1990s. 30 years ago, any old A-5 boat gun was worth $500-$600, and a nice Belgian one was worth $1,000 easy. Nowadays an absolutely pristine in-the-box never-fired Belgian A-5 can be found for $600-$700. And good condition shooters are $350-$450 for a good one. Japanese ones are $100 more because they have screw-in chokes. I pick up nice ones when I find them, but then I'm getting old too.

I did some research and 1903 was the first year that model was made, so it might be worth a bit more for that. I also found they were available in different grades and models that year. Need to know which model you have. Again pictures would help tell the story and I for one would like to see it.

TK

Back