1901 Webley .38 Cal info

mattyh

Inactive
G'Day folks,

I am trying to find out info for a relative on this revolver he has

He states it’s a 1901 Webley .38 calibre Royal Irish Constabulary "British Bulldog", has a 5 round cylinder, 4" nickel plated barrel and wooden handle.

I have tried google to no avail, I can find out about the 6 round Webley, but not the 5.

I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable people know anything about this particular revolver.

Thanks in advance

I do believe we are going to need pictures, However, if has British Bulldog rollmarked on it, it is not a British gun, If it is nickel plated it is not a Webley RIC unless it was plated after market.

Last edited:
"...it is no a British gun..." Could be. Webley made .38(may be .38 S&W) Bulldogs, but didn't mark 'em. Absolutely would not be marked 'British' if sold to the RIC.
Mind you, everybody, his brother and all his cousins made a copy or variant of the Bulldog.

"British Bulldog" is about as specific as "cowboy gun"; could be just about anything.
RICs did have some plated small parts.

Mr. T O Heir Is correct, No Webley was ever marked " British Bulldog " and certainly no Webley RIC revolver. The name British Bulldog was used by Forehand and Wadsworth, Johnson and Bye and several Belgium firms, never by Webley ;) Every one in the world called the large frame, large caliber, short barrel guns British Bulldogs except the British, I guess they just called them big honking short barrel guns', Webley made a smaller frame gun in 320 and 380, both based on the Colt 32 and 38 Cartridges and later of course Webley chambered their revolvers in plain 38 S&W and the 38/200 S&W cartridge ( same cartridge, different bullets ) Which in the US we called the Super Police Load. none of those loads were offered in the RIC

Last edited:
Finally got around to getting some pics, will post up when I get home.
Definatley has Webley RIC engraved in it
Serial Number is either 51522 or 51528 (its a bit faded)
There is also another number stamped below the Webley RIC stmp
Says No2 380CF
And is definatley a 5 round cylinder.The barrel is also smooth on the outside (no indents around where the rounds go in)
Pictures up in a few hours.

Back