19 reloads of same brass????

Ironbarr

I was browsing http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=57951 and one of the "effects" of a Glock blow up was relegated to bad brass (reload).

I'd stopped at WallyMart on the way to the farm today and milled around the ammo desk. Fella was talking with the clerk - ultimate he kind of bragged that, while new to reloading, he'd stacked up over 5000 rounds. AND he had one set of brass he'd reloaded for the 19th time.

Sounds a bit garish to me...how about you?

If loads are kept reasonable and the sizing die and chamber combination does not work the brass excessively, up to 20 loads for a pistol case would not be impossible or even unusual. At some point, the case mouth may need trimming.

Rifle cases may not last that long, but that is an issue for another forum.

Jim

I agree. I have some .45 ACP that I have loaded somewhere from 12 and 14 times. But I don't exercise it unduly, at reloading or firing. (I do need to check that case length though.)

I thought I'd be able to go on forever with .45 brass, just as I did with rifle brass. But the cases are starting to get split necks at around 15 firings. When they get to that number, I just chuck 'em.

Dick

A friend of mine just keeps reloading the brass until it splits, then discards it. No way to really know how many times the brass is reloaded, but some of his cases have extractor and ejector marks all the way around the case rim. He uses moderate powder charges and hasn't had a problem with his methods in over 15 years. (I still tell him he's crazy every time we go shooting and I won't use his ammo in my guns. I've got this thing going with Murphy, if I'm not careful he bites me.)

I don't keep track of my target loads in .45ACP, but I know some of the brass has been loaded a bunch of times. If it looks bad on inspection, it pitch it. As far as trimming, I've never trimmed any pistol brass, if my .45 brass does anything, it shrinks!

Seems...

I guessed wrong, huh? I thought the brass would eventually stretch and thin after a few round trips. Glad I kept my mouth shut.

This fellow said (also) that he loads a box of fifty for about $3 --- is that true? Course, it probably takes $500 to set up, no? Is the learning curve for reloading steep and long?

Ironbarr,

When I got into reloading, I bought some good brass (Federal and Winchester-Western) for my 45 1911. I haven't kept records on individual brass, but I had less than 700 pieces of brass for a lot of the time. Some of these original cases have been loaded around 20 times. I haven't had a single case failure, although I have had some that have rims that are so beat up that they don't chamber correctly. I shoot very soft target loads, for the most part. I have on ocassion shot some much hotter loads, but usually I shoot either 3.8 gr of Clays or 4.0 gr of Clays.

As far as price of a box of reloads, lets see. I pay about $1.70 for a box of Federal Large Pistol primers (100), about $3.50 to $4.00 for 100 cast 200gr lead slugs (in box of 500), $56 for a 4 lb keg of Clays. Four pounds of powder, 7000 gr to a pound (I think), means 28,000 gr for $56, or about $.008 per round (4 gr load) or $.80 per box of 100.

So $.80 plus $4.00 plus $1.70 equals about $6.50 per box, not counting the brass, which I figure is has paid for itself already. My math may be wrong, I'm not sure about the 7000 gr per pound. The cost of the Dillon SDB was about $300, I don't remember. I have loaded around 18,000 rounds with it, so if you figure $300 / 18,000 you get $.016 per round, so you should add $.16 to each 100 round box for a total of (horrors!!) $6.66 per box. But that's only if I didn't use the Dillon press anymore; it's in fine shape, and I'll probably reload 200-300 on it tomorrow. It's still going strong.

Just my results. You also have to count in your time, which is why I use a Dillon progressive.

Casey

Not the same kind of stresses on the cases, but I've got some .38 Spls. that are approaching their 50th reloading.

I've had these things since the early 1980s. I've lost some over the years to case splitting but those that remain are looking strong.

Probably the most I've reloaded a semi-auto pistol case are some 9mms that probably have 12 to 15 loadings in them.

Given the relatively low pressures generated by .45 ACP, I could see getting in excess of 50 loadings from one.

IIRC, about 20 0r so years ago, one of the magazines ( gunrags?) ran a test with 38spl. wadcutter loads, wound uf loading, firing, reloading, ad nauseam all the way out to about 112 firings before the case neck began to crack! Of course, these were 2.7 gr. bullseye range loads, but if you keep the stresses low, apparently You can run REVOLVER brass a long way!
crankshaft
Paranoia is the only sane policy when THEY really, truly are out to get You!

Casey,

That's for a box of 100, right? So, $3.25 per commercial size box of 50 rnds and Ironbarr's friend was about right

I know old guys shooting 45 brass from the 60s.

It's how hot you shoot and what condition that specific case is in that should determine when you use or discard it.

Back