1895 Nagant markings?

Genepix

I'm hoping someone here will be able to point me in the right direction to learn and identify the markings on this very solid 1944 model. Honestly, I have never seen a handgun with so many markings, and, aside from the date on the side plate, can't even guess what all of the other markings mean. Any Nagant experts out there who could give me a tutorial? Thanks for any info...
Gene

I'm hoping someone here will be able to point me in the right direction to learn and identify the markings on this very solid 1944 model. Honestly, I have never seen a handgun with so many markings, and, aside from the date on the side plate, can't even guess what all of the other markings mean. Any Nagant experts out there who could give me a tutorial? Thanks for any info...

If you post a few pics I can probably identify some of them. I used to have a few Nagants in my collection.

Not an answer to your question but I once owned a Smith & Wesson M&P in .38/200 that was literally covered in stampings. There were British proof marks because they got it first and there were Austrian markings, because they got it next. I don't remember if there were any importer markings added but I didn't put any of my own on the revolver.

Thanks- I've been fascinated with all the info there is on this model. How do I determine which factory made it, and is each part inspected by a different person?

From what I've been able to dig up, the skinny-hammer in star arsenal stamp is from the relocated Tula factory. I guess they had to move it to keep it away from the nazis.

That particular variation of the stamp was more commonly used in 1943, apparently:
http://www.h6x.net/nagant_m1895_years_and_marks.htm
http://www.h6x.net/nagant_m1895.htm#ar

It looks like the year stamping on yours was redone with a "44" over whatever was on there originally.

The usual Tula stamp is an arrow in a star, although there were lots of wacky variations.

Last edited:
Reminds me of my pet peeve (Which does not apply here) People who call Mosin Nagants, Nagants.

mosaka-albums-mosin-pix-picture4325-ermy-nagant-4.jpg

Back