1895 Nagant advice

NINEX19

I realize that I am a bit late to the 1895 Nagant revolver game by quite a few years. It seems the days of being able to by them for $80 (so I read) are over. Now, when you do see them available online (which seem to be few and far between), they seem to be going for $200-$500 each and probably gain some value in the future as well. Perhaps I am just not looking in the correct places.

An example or two have been on my list for a few years, but I have never found one in any of my LGS. Last week I did find one at a LGS for $150.
After looking it over, I see that it is in what appears to be unissued/unfired condition with all matching serial numbers. It is a 1944 made in Izhevsk.

My question to the knowledgeable ones about these firearms is, should I leave this in the "pristine" condition I found it in or should I do what I really want, and play with it? This would not be a question if it was clearly an issued one or refurbished one with non matching serial numbers.

i purchased one last year and the exterior is in immaculate condition all matching #'s however the bore looks like a sewer pipe. I'm guessing it was refinished at some point in time however it was done in a good manner.

At $150 your not going to loose money on the transaction even if you go out and shoot 1,000's of rounds through the gun. If you don't buy it you'll probably be kicking yourself for years.

I'd shoot it. It's not like these are ever going to reach cult status and command premium prices. The triggers are horrible and the sights are marginal.

"...should I leave this in the "pristine" condition..." Yep. Do anything to is will make it drop in value by at least half. And there's currently an untouched '44 vintage 1895 on Gunbroker at $405. So you're already ahead.
Graf's is listing Fiocchi ammo on sale at $25.59 per 50.

Thanks reddog81

I know I got a good buy on it and I think your correct that they will probably not bring a premium price (at least not my example).

The bore on mine is bright/shiny with high lands and low grooves (ie. not used... too much at least). I was a bit impressed to find a shiny mainspring with the SN engraved on it also. I have never found reference that they stamped the spring also.

Yes, the trigger is not anything to write home about. I have read over and over about how bad they are. Perhaps I was built up in my mind to expect a worse trigger than necessary, but I was pleasantly surprised that the single action is actually quite good. Double action trigger is still heavy, but it does have a clean, crisp break.

I am trying to get a feel as to if this came out of someones collection and of a more uncommon state or if this type of condition is more normal. It seems that the ones I read about or see on youtube have all been "re-arsenaled", well worn or modified in some way.

The three I had were all re-done at whatever arsenal, most I've seen over the past 30 years were & looked "new".

I'd suspect yours was too.

Nothing wrong with shooting it, I assumed you meant something like threading for a suppressor, changing cylinder/caliber, or other alteration, when you mentioned you wanted to "play" with it.
Denis

"...should I leave this in the "pristine" condition..." Yep. Do anything to is will make it drop in value by at least half. And there's currently an untouched '44 vintage 1895 on Gunbroker at $405. So you're already ahead.
Graf's is listing Fiocchi ammo on sale at $25.59 per 50

Funny:D That is almost as much help as

Your decision.
As a historical piece, leave it alone.
As a toy, do whatever you want.
Denis

As fellow "gun enthusiast" and appreciating historical items, I would think you all would appreciate the deep turmoil this type of decision can cause. Part of you says "Go out and have fun with it. Who cares about future value! You got a good deal on it." and the other part of me says, "No, hold off for a few years and see what the market does as it is a cool piece of military history and everyone else is just shooting theirs since they view them as cheap, throw-away guns." :D

Alright, you all have convinced me to at least fire a box through it.

Last edited:
DPris,

Having them redone at an arsenal will leave them is that good of condition that they appear "new"?

I have no experience with the 1895 Nagant in this respect. All I have experience with is the P38 and those that were redone with just a mixture of parts and serial numbers just so they could make a complete gun. Perhaps re-bluing also, but that was it.

Nine,
You asked the decisional equivalent of "Should I buy a classic Renault Dauphine that's been restored & put it on a pedestal or drive it?"

Buy it if you want it.
Don't if you don't.

Your decision entirely.
Don't expect anyone here to make up your mind for you.

I gave you both sides- As a classic historical piece, don't alter it.
Shoot if you want.

If a total toy, chop the barrel, thread it for a suppressor, swap to a .32 S&W or .32 ACP cylinder, stick ivory grips on it, nickel plate it, whatever.

It'll never be worth thousands, like other more desirable models are & can be with the passage of time.

I started seeing the Nagants at gun shows 30 years ago & initially thought I was seeing "new" or un-issued samples.

Found out those & every one I've seen since, including the three I owned, were arsenal refurbs, and yes- to the point they appear brand new unfired.

I don't know what "help" you were expecting, but you've gotten both sides of the question now, decide what you want to do & run with it.
Denis

Denis,
You actually have helped a lot. Thank you. I like your analogy. I will shoot it, but not alter it in any way.

I was just looking for experienced information that would sway me one way or the other. I was not looking for someone to tell me what to do, but rather gain information that would help me in my decision. Perhaps mine was "re-done". They did a good job.

They did the same quality refurb on all that passed through the program, and the guns came out looking new on the outside.
Internally, bores can vary.

There have been cases of importers bringing in lesser Nagants, mostly those used by various agencies after the War (police, etc.), with more of a used appearance.

I would not pay $400 for an "un-touched" sample without conclusive documentation that it was actually un-touched.

After the refurb, if storage was adequate (and it usually was), the guns remained looking new for decades.

What you're talking about is a run-of-the-mill Nagant in commonly-encountered condition that will never appreciate like a good Luger or P-38.
Denis

Let the guys with the white gloves worry about preserving guns.
Just go shoot the danged thing.
That's why it was made in the first place, ain't it?

I got one for $200 or so. It was arsenal refinished and looked like new. The trigger was horrible and it really wasn't that interesting to shoot. I eventually traded it in on something else.

Keep it original, shoot it all you want or can afford. You'll tire of shooting it and wish it were still original if you monkey with it. JMO

Sounds like a good price. I have 2 of them. Single action trigger is not bad, double action is a bear. In a pinch can shoot .32 S&W long or .32 ACP. Prices on the .32 ACP cylinders has gotten crazy though.

Man, shoot the gun...it has little collector value....as is true of MOST guns!

There are many reasons the Nagant revolver will never become a "collectible" and a few reasons why it might....most notably because it is of unusual design and function but don't expect it to suddenly become a million-dollar investment.

Too many people are buying guns with the notion that they'll "turn a profit" in a few years...this is NOT how the gun market works. Buy what you LIKE, SHOOT IT, and enjoy it. IF it becomes a collector's item, even you're "worn" model will fetch a decent price!

There are actually a lot of collectors who own them. They have value as imports are no more. It has gotten to the point certain ones are more desirable than others. I myself have a 1943 Izzie and a 1928 CCCP. Back them they came with all the accessories. They are re-arsenaled and shot able as it won't hurt them. Ammo is not cheap however. A rather crude pistol.:)

Check out gunbroker. They go from $300 to over $2000 now days.

Back