1892 Winchester

Outlaw0013

I have a model 1892 rifle in 32WCF. According to what I can find out from the ser # the rifle was made in 1893. If anyone has any loading data for black powder I would appreciate the help. I understand it's 20 gains behind a 32 grain bullet but was wondering if there is anything else I should look out for

It's not a 32 grain bullet, it's a "32 caliber", nominally 0.312 diameter. Probably a 110 - 115 grain bullet. You might want to slug the bore; my old Colt Lightning has a 0.318 bore. I cast my own at 100 gr, and they do well.

You are correct with 20 gr holy black, but that is also nominal. You want to fill the case to the point that seating the bullet compresses the powder just a little, say 1/8". Measure by volume. You can load light charges of smokeless, but you can't go wrong with some FFFg black. Good luck.

I doubt you will get the full 20 grains of 3f in the case and seat a bullet properly. If you use a substitute powder like Pyrodex or T7 I would reduce the load by 15%.

Be sure to clean the bore and workings with a water based solvent ASAP after using Pyrodex due to that powder's corrosiveness. Dry and oil afterward. Same for real black powder. Less so for T7. I have friends who shoot the 32/20 in Cowboy Action matches with black powder and they run a damp patch down the barrel every 10-20 shots. They use a black powder lube on cast lead bullets.

Back