1887 Winchester Shotgun (CAI Version)

Tidewater_Kid

I always thought this model was cool. Arnold spin cocking it made we want one. I followed Coyote Cap when he was first trying to bring them to the market and didn't have the funds when they were finally available. Recently my interest has surged again and I was looking at them online. I saw this one at a show today and decided to pick it up. Got it home and decided to see if I could smooth it out some. Most of the issues were with all the grit left in the action from the manufacturing process. There were also some rough edges and some rough surfaces. Overall I am pleased with how smooth it is now. I need to get it to them range to try it out. Wonderful thing living in the modern age where so much information is available on the internet. Cap's site is good for FAQs and of course there is YouTube for how tos.

TK

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1887 PW87.jpg
    1887 PW87.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 697
That's really nice! I assume it's in 12 ga? If you get a chance to take more pictures, take one with the action open. I would like to compare an original.

Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Well mine did fine at the range today. As long as you work the lever with authority, it feeds and functions fine. I had a couple of failure to ejects, but that was me stopping in mid stroke to admire the action.

All I had with me was some #6 and #7 1/2 bird shot. These worked fine. I would like to try some 00 Buck and some slugs.

TK

You can probably put lithium grease in it and play with it for a couple of hours and slick it up. I did that with a pre safety Rossi 92 and it's slicker than snot on a porcelain doorknob now.:D I have a Norinco 97 that I really like except the wood is some kinda unknown Chinese #%^&. :D

Yeah it is considering I grew up shooting 2 3/4 smokeless loads out of it. I even accidentally shot a 3 inch magnum out of it once. It didn't hurt the gun but it did a number on the shell. It was the only shotgun I could call mine from the time I was about 12 until I was 19 and bought a Savage pump. It gets 2 1/2 inch bp loads when it gets used now which isn't much. Going to have to dig it out and get some better pics of it one of these days.

Hawg,

Thanks for the additional pictures. I was told the PW87 was made by reverse engineering an original. After looking at yours, I have to agree.

Deerslayer303,

When I purchased the shotgun the guy at the table said, "Have fun being the terminator!"

I would have the cut the stock down for a closer Terminator copy. Don't plan on doing that. There's enough kicK in this thing with the full buttstock and I'm no kid!

I almost traded for an 87 clone but since I already had this one I went with a 97. Pretty good snake killer.

snake.jpg

Venom1956,

Have you ever fed the mini shells in the 87? I have several boxes of those, but you can't find them anymore. They work well in my mule ear SxS. I didn't think they would feed in the carrier.

Hawg,

the '97 is my next shotgun purchase. Always like those too.

TK

T_K, Keep us posted on how your new '87 does. I have been watching a few videos on them on youtube. One Youtuber said that the '87 was designed around 2.5" shells?? Hawg, do you know if this is true? Anyway he had the 2.75" shells hang up (where the crimp was blowed out) on ejection. The shotgun ran great with the 2.5" shells.

Back