1884 Iver Johnson topbreak revolver

I've recently inherited this revolver. As far as i can tell, it was made in fitchburg right before it was labeled cycles co added to the end. trying to find out more info. as you can see by the pictures its model serial # Z 516. IF anyone has any other info that can help me correctly identify it. Thank you

Attachments

• 20160731_125929.jpg
    20160731_125929.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 20160731_125746.jpg
    20160731_125746.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 20160731_130120.jpg
    20160731_130120.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 90
Hi. There isn't a great deal of info due to them having no collector interest. Hence they have little value either. Mind you, that may start changing, but it won't happen fast.
Hordes of "pocket pistols" were made by IJ, Hopkins & Allen(have one of those. DA .32 S&W loads like an SAA.) and H&R that all look very similar. Branded as Saturday Night Specials by the assorted anti-firearm ownership gangs.
However, there is one book available at Amazon that might be worth buying.
Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1871-1993 By Bill Goforth.
https://www.amazon.com/Iver-Johnson-Cycle-Firearms-1871-1993/dp/0978708601
Your's might be a 3rd Model. Dunno for sure. They all look the same to me. snicker.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/03/don-gammill-jr/gun-revieww-iver-johnson-32-sw/

First, the serial number is 2516, not Z516. That means it is in the first series, without an initial letter.

It appears to be an Iver Johnson, Large Frame Safety Automatic Revolver, First Model, Hammer version, caliber .38 S&W (that is the name of the cartridge, not the maker of that gun), made in 1894.

The value is not high, but collector interest has increased in the past few years, and that revolver appears to be in good condition. If mechanically in good condition, it should bring about $150. It is from the black powder era, so I would not advise any extensive firing with modern smokeless powder cartridges.

That said, since you inherited the gun, it presumably belonged to a family member, so its value as an heirloom would probably exceed any amount it would sell for.

Jim

It is from the black powder era, so I would not advise any extensive firing with modern smokeless powder cartridges.

Howdy

Around the turn of the century, Iver Johnson redesigned their revolver line so they could safely shoot Smokeless Powder. Yours is not one of those.

There are three features that make it easy to differentiate between the Smokeless Iver Johnsons and the earlier Black Powder revolvers.

1. The little owl on the grips faces backwards.

2. The bolt stop notches on the cylinder have a hard edge both top and bottom.

3. If you remove the grips, the hammer spring will be a coil spring.

Here is a photo of an Iver Johnson Hammerless revolver from the Smokeless era exhibiting the three identifying features.

IverJohnsonHammerless01.jpg

Here is an Iver Johnson revolver from the Black Powder era.

1. The little owl on the grips faces forward.

2. There is only one hard edge on the cylinder stop notches, the hand keeps the cylinder from rotating backwards.

3. The hammer spring is a leaf spring, as can be seen in one of your photos.

2834897460102804856S600x600Q85.jpg

Although your revolver has most likely been fired with Smokeless ammo at some time, it is not recommended.

Thano you all. It is first edition it seems. One of maybe 100 that has Iver Johnson & Co Fitchburg Mass. Before they stamped them cycle works behind it. I wonder how many are still exsistance that had this error.

Revolver Stamp error

Recently discovered that on the spine of mine is stamped "Iver Johnson & co Fitchburg Mass". Since it was in Fitchburg that cycle works was stamped on to all new guns, since this is a first model large body .38 topbreak made after Bye and Johnson seperated, could this of been made previous to the move to fitchburg and possibly just stamped when Mr Johnson aquired the cycle works, but before they start production on the new cycle works guns and stamped accordingly. Since its serial is 2516, it might of been made under bye and johnson but stamped Johnson only after Bye gave up his part of the company.

all kinda speculation... but anyone have any clue on that error by chance?

thanks again guys

As far as as I can determine, the change from "Iver Johnson & Co." to "Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works" took place during 1894. Goforth says the move was in 1892, but Fitchburg guns are known with the 1893 patent date.

Jim

Well i just got done reading up further, and it says from 1894 to 96, my particular revolver was created, some 250,000 were made for 2 years. First model was Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works, but it says some really early models of this were stamped just Iver Johnson & Co. Of how many it did not say, so many very limited since mine is a 2516 out of 250,000. Must be true. Maybe the first 10k were made with that stamp.

Back