1877 Sharps Question

ukyank

Inactive
Long time lurker here, and now I need an opinion.
After years of going back & forth I decided to spring for a Shiloh Sharps. I've shot friend's guns loved it but only now convinced myself to spend the $.

So I see Shiloh now has a new 1877 model (based on Axtell's model if I read correctly). On paper I know what the differences between the '77 & '74 are, but I've never seen in person let alone shot a '77.

Question thus would be, for anyone who is familiar with the 1877, if you were only going to probably ever purchase 1 Sharps from Shiloh, would you recommend it over the 1874?

Note this wouldn't be used for any match shooting or anything like that.

Thanks!

I personally like the 1874 appearance over the 1877 but the 1877 lock time might be a bit faster. In the past I have owned several 1874 Shiloh rifles and I think they and Montana Armory rifles are the cat's meow. I have never owned a Montana Armory rifle but I have been to their place of business and personally inspected their rifles and they don't have to take a back seat to any one. You wouldn't go wrong with either rifle and either would be a quality firearm you could proudly pass on to you children or grandchildren. I personally wouldn't sneeze at some of the Pedersoli rifles. Back when my interest was sparked concerning Sharps rifles I don't think Pedersoli was making one. Otherwise, I might never have become so infatuated with Shiloh rifles.

I believe since you are not considering shooting competition it really doesn't make any difference which one you choose. If it were me I would select the 1874 but then I might end up with a 1877 also.

I just remembered I have owned two 1875 Montana Armory rifles in the past, but to me they just don't have the pizazz of the 1874 either.

Last edited:
Back