1873 Winchester Uberti Short rifle

Doc Hoy

Just committed to buy on the GB dot com.

20" octagon barrel.

Straight stock

.45 Long Colt

Photos when it arrives

Doc, I have the exact same rifle in .44-40. It's a great shooter. It's hell on groundhogs and coyotes. Not to mention deer. You should enjoy it very much.

I'm betting you will like it.

Spend a bit more green (I know, unbelievable considering how much these rifles cost) having an experienced cowboy gunsmith perform an action job, maybe a short stroke kit and you will not be able to get the smile off of your face.

Try some truncated cone flat point bullets for good feeding.

CF

I ordered the mold for the 200 gr RNFPs.

for the .44-40 yesterday.

The .45 cal bullet I use is a bit heavier, but I may change that as well.

If I do, I will look into your suggestion.

1873 came in but

As you can see, it is not a "Short rifle"

Barrel is 29 inches long

Last edited:
Discrepancy

This rifle was sold as a "Short rifle" with 20 inch barrel.

It actually has a 29 inch barrel. I looked on the Uberti Website and saw 1873s with barrel lengths up to 24.25 but none longer.

Obviously a rifle from the past.

Anyone know about an Uberti 1873 in .45LC with a 29 inch barrel?

Never mind....

I just found it.

Sporting Rifle came in a straight stock version with a 30 in barrel.

That is about right.

Nope. I am keeping it.

I gave the seller positive feedback even though the description was off.

I have asked Uberti Customer Service what the price differential was between this rifle and a short rifle when it was being marketed.

I am thinking the differential will have been somewhere are forty to eight dollars (Difference between a new 30 inch octagon barrel and a new 20 inch octagon barrel at that time) Right now the difference between 20 inch and 24 inch is about forty bucks.

I suppose I got a better deal that I was originally thinking because I am assuming the longer rifle went for a higher price than the shorter one.

Yes, Uberti still makes the 30" barreled guns (Straight and PG). No one imports a whole lot of them though.

Been wanting a straight gripped one in .44-40 with the 30" tube. Even contemplated a musket.

They don't sell many that long, because most of the "cowboy" fellers want a fast handling carbine, hunters also want one shorter.

However, the longer barrel adds weight, longer sight radius and is more forgiving if swinging it on targets like a shotgun.
Looks great if you want to add a Malcom style scope too.

A friend's original Winchester in 30" that I shot a week or two ago had a shotgun butt on it...wish I could afford it!

Very, very nice, even if it's in a non-traditional caliber. :p ;) :D

They don't sell many that long, because most of the "cowboy" fellers want a fast handling carbine, hunters also want one shorter.

I would love to have a long barreled lever rifle.

When you go looking for something but find something better, it's called serendipity. That rifle is serendipitous! Some guys are just plain lucky.
That's you, Doc!

Back