1873 Winchester headspace question....

I recieved a 1873 Winchester today made in 1895.
With the lever closed, the space between the chamber and the bolt exposes about 1/8 of the case head. Is this normal? If not, who is the WInchester 73 Doctor>

Dallas,

Sounds like you need a copy of "Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West", by David Chicoine. He has a section on the '73 and worn out links.

You can do a visual inspection if you pull the side plate and put the bolt in battery, lever up. With the bolt closed, the links will be straight, 2 piece, but straight. They work kind of like the folding thing on a folding table, except one part is round, concave, and the other is round, convex.

Straightened out, and pushing on the bolt, they are like putting 2 bricks under a load, total support. They should push the bolt to a snug fit at the breech face, .006 to .008 headspace on the cartridge head.

If you open your gun and work the action, you will probably find badly worn pins and link section ends. There should be no slop with the bolt closed.

If you like give me an address, I will scan and send some pics and some pertinent text.

I found my copy on line, 8 bucks or so, plus shipping, mebbe 12 total. Excellent source of info.

Should you find it is the links that are worn, and not the pins, rare, I think, they can be bought from Numrich Gun Parts, West Hurley NY. I think they are www.gunparts.com

Cheers,

George.

Edit,

What caliber is it, BTW? And, you would NOT believe the parts value of that original. Last weekend show, one vendor was selling links that looked as though the were buried 20 years and wiped off, 85 bucks eack, steel butt plate 135, etc.

George,

It's in 44-40. Now was that vendor actually selling those links at $85 each or just showing them off with a $85 sign near them?

Thanks for your offer, but I have a copy of Chicoine's book. I just have revolvers until now and hadn't gotten to his discussion on long guns. Thanks for reminding me I have his book.

When I looked at the breech, I thought it had a massive gap until I inserted an empty in the chamber. I didn't realize how thick the rim was. Head space seems good, but I need to replace the carrier block, its at least an 1/8 inchout of square. I ordered one from Dixie gunworks, then I 'll see what else it needs.

Dallas,

Well, let's just say they were marked at 85, and noone seemed to need them.

I don't know if that is the going price or not. I DO know that I have to go get my cousin to go see my aunt's neighbor and get my own back, which she confiscated from me almost 50 years ago. That was a 32-20, shy the left link, the rest all there. Also, a Springfield '73 carbine in 45-70, trapdoor, shot good, didn't look so good, what the hell, 75 years old at the time. AND a mule eared 12 guage double, forget who made that. Want them back, anyhow.

Cheers,

George

Back