1873 Trapdoor buy?

Fred S

Well now that I've got most of the 20th Century US Infantry Rifles, I'm thinking of going for the 19th century (no Krag though havn't figured out which century to place it in and need to learn about 'em).

Thinking of getting a .45-70 1873 Trapdoor Infantry Rifle.

Should I go for a repro (I want to shoot it of course) or get an original? If original what's a good source to learn about these rifles, their values and so I won't buy a fake.

Thanks in advance

Fred

Hey Fred - The trapdoor is a great rifle. My friend has one, all original, and he shoots it regularly. However, he rolls his own and shoots only blackpowder, as smokeless powder most certainly would build up dangerous pressures in the old chamber.

If I were you, I'd get a replica. Some of those are also limited to certain factory loads, as is my 45-70 sharps. I shoot Remington 405 grainers, and the box specifically states, "safe for use in all firearms."

Good Luck

Noban

I had a Trapdoor replica and it was a very nice looking and shooting rifle (but a little hard on the sholder). I sold it to buy an original (Model 1884) only because I like the feeling of history of the original. Noban is right about being careful about chamber prassures. I do not reload but do buy low prassure 45-70 that the cowboy shooter use because they are easy to find at the gun shows. The trapdoor is great and fun rifle.
For more information you could try the Trapdoor board at: http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/cgi-bin/afrasca/bulletin/config.pl

BTW the Krag has a foot in both centuries. The Krag is one cool rifle,,, :)

------------------
TOUJOURS PRET
Swamprat

Keep to moderate loads or factory ammo and the trapdoors are fine shooters. If you can go the bucks, buy an original. Replicas actually aren't as well made (though of better steel) and have no historical value. Shooting won't hurt an original if it is given good care.

As for Krags, try the Krag forum at www.gunandknife.com for lots of info.

With both guns, especially the Krag, there are many fakes and forgeries. I recommend buying a few books first; they may save you big bucks later. Avoid Krag carbines until you know more - many are fakes and not worth anywhere near the prices being asked.

Jim

Back