1873 carbine lever safety spring

chaz12

Has anyone used the replacement lever safety spring for an 1873 rifle, from the Smith shop?

I ordered one and was ready to put it in when I noticed that it did not look like the pictures on the website. The pictures show one leg of the spring is straight and the other one has a 90 deg bend at the end to engage the lever safety bar. Mine does not have the 90 deg bend. I could easily bend it myself, but I wanted to find out if anyone else had done the same. If I bend it, it will make that leg shorter so I am questioning if that will work.

Chaz

A spring leg is generally bent either to provide tension/power against the surface it (or its opposite leg) bears against or to help retain something in place.

I'm looking at the images here: http://thesmithshop.com/leversafety.html

If that spring is supposed to provide tension against the safety, it won't unless the leg is bent.

Howdy

I have one of the Smith Shop trigger safety bar springs in my '73. Yes, there is supposed to be a right angle to bear against the bar. If you don't want to bend it yourself, call up Bill English at The Smith Shop. He is a fine gentleman and will take care of you.

Back