1870 Navy Springfield

mikenbarb

I have Just came across an 1870 Navy springfield and was wondering roughly what its worth. It seems to be a rolling block and says US Navy Springfield, Remington on it. It also has the Navy Eagle over the US Springfield. If anyone can help me with a value of this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know a dollar value, but that is a good catch.
Flayderman says they made 22,013 of them, of which the first 10,000 were rejected because the rear sight was only 1/2" in front of the receiver instead of the specified 3 1/8". The rejects went to France for the Franco Prussian War and are scarce here.

Mikenbarb, you don't mention condition. In good shape, $500 would be a good deal even if it is one the Navy rejects. If it is a real dog, you would be at best borderline.

Jim

Sorry I forgot to mention the condition. It seems to be around 85-90% NRA condition. The bore is suprisingly clean with no rust or pits and the stock has a couple of dings. The finish is approx 95% original with little wear. The reciever has a couple tiny dings also. All of the lettering is great with very little wear of the moving parts. I think im going to purchase it and go to the range this weekend and make some fire and smoke.:D Also, Its one of the improved ones after the sight problem was corrected.

Back