1866 Remington Revolving Carbine: Who has one?

BerdanSS

The Indy 1500 is fast approaching. I have a short list of things to pick up from my favorite vendor. One of which is a excellent condition 80s production 61 navy. I posted pictures of their booth a while back, table after table LOADED with black powder pistols, rifles and accouterments :)

I just watched Mr. Bellevues excellent video on Ubertis '66 Remmy "Carbine"....

I wants me one :D

I've never personally owned or shot anything of remington design. All colt, though I did carry a loaner New Army for a piece when I started into reenacting. Have these ever been reproduced by anyone other than uberti? Most of this vendors stock is like new or unfired 70s and 80s production. He is supposed to have a '66 with him this time.

So.......Accuracy? Quality? Just plain fun factor of one? It will be a range toy only. I Love the oddballs and all I pretty much shoot anymore are my 1800s style guns.

<EDIT> It's either that or a '51 Buntline with the shoulder stock He's had the last two shows.

Last edited:
A fellow at my range a couple months ago had one and let me fondle it. He was quite good with it, but he was shooting at pistol distances (I'd say no more than 30 yards).
They sure are light as a feather, and holding it properly with your offhand back isn't nearly as awkward as it may look.
I've thought about getting one myself, considering they're half the price of an Uberti levergun and I'm already set up for cap & ball.

They're made by Uberti so quality is usually top-notch. I don't know of any other manufacturers except Pietta's "Buffalo" revolver, which is kinda neat but not authentic like Uberti's '66 rifle.

Even though I love cap & ball, I imagine they'd be alot more fun with a .45 cal R&D conversion cylinder than the percussion one. That way you could use an oven mitt or something to hold it like a normal rifle without fear of chainfires ;)

Yeah I have one. Got it about 4 years ago and put a 45lc conversion cylinder in it. To be honest I haven't shot it with cap and ball yet. Just lots of 45lc cartridges. Accuracy is so-so with the conversion. I can keep them in a 4" circle at 50 yards after some tweaking on my 45 reloads. I had the idea I'd take a deer with it and that accuracy will do it. Someone more adept could probably dial it in much better than me. I'm curious about the c&b cylinder and will have to test it. Maybe this year. Definitely lots of fun.

Back