1865 Spencer Rifle

Ned Roundtree

Anyone got one of these babies? A buddy of mine was showing me his reconditioned Spencer. He shoots it in NCOWS. I think it is in 50 or 52 caliber. Wow, even with black powder loads you have got to pay attention. So my local gun store just got one in. Ouch, $5,000+/-. Well, it is back to my trusty Marlin.

Ned,

I saw an article some time back about a company that has started making centerfire reproductions. I don't remember the company name, but the price was around $1500.00.

I've dreamed of woning a Spencer since I was a kid. I still almost cry every time I remember having to pass up an original Spencer, with Cavalry acceptance marks and KKK markings for less than $1,000.00, but i just did not have the cash.

Doc Hudson

The one Phil Spangenberger reviewed was made by some fellow with an Italian sounding name. it started with an "M", I think.

I guess I'll have to go digging through back issues and find the danged article to see what he said about it.

Any idea how much the Taylor made Spencers might sell for, and the calibers available?

Doc Hudson

Romano Rifle Company of Pennellville, NY makes Spencer Rifles. As an outfit whose reputation among Civil War enthusiasts is high, they're products are not for the casual shooter. You gotta have bucks to own one of theirs.

I think the Taylor imported Spencer from Sport Armi is about $1700. Last year their marketing dept said it would cost about $1200. This year I am hearing $1700.

Back