1863 Pietta groove diameter?

I don't know but I understand, I put a .38 conversion in a .36 Navy and eventually ended up having the barrel lined to .358" as a permanent cartridge gun.

Since it's a .31 I would expect bore size to be .310.
You expect, but don't know. If we were speculating what ball size is required for use with the percussion cylinder is it would be a .310 or .315 because it's a .31, yet it is consistent that owners use a .323 ball.

With the being required, I don't want to speculate the bore to have .310 grooves.

You expect, but don't know. If we were speculating what ball size is required for use with the percussion cylinder is it would be a .310 or .315 because it's a .31, yet it is consistent that owners use a .323 ball.

With the being required, I don't want to speculate the bore to have .310 grooves.

.319-.323 will shave down to at least .310. A .32 S&W bullet is .312.

What diameter was the .36 Navy bore ... before you had it relined to .358" ?
Gary

The bore miked .360". We didn't slug it to get the groove diameter but it was much larger, so large that a swaged hollow base wadcutter would not "Minie" to take the rifling reliably.

OP here. I shot some .45 Colt for the first time in years in a 5 inch Pietta '58 and am reminded of how much fun it is to play around with 19th Century revolvers. I didn't try to push the velocity with my handloads, even at 7.2 grains of Unique there's still a decent kick and it's accurate. Had to hold at 3 o'clock with the sights to hit, but that was part of the fun. Usually I hate fixed sights, but the Remington's are just fine.

So, having been reminded of how enjoyable percussion revolver conversions are I'm very seriously considering the 1863. I don't care for Colt's and all .36's have .375" bores, so converting to .38 is largely impractical, which really leaves .31's as my next option and with 1849 Colt's no longer having conversion cylinders made it means the 1863 is the only one left.

Besides the questions I asked before, I'd like to know just general thoughts on the '63 Pocket Remington, especially from anyone who has bought one the past 5 years. How's quality and do you think they're worth the $400 they cost now?

Back