1862 Richmond musket sights

Old Stony

I just thought I'd probe a few brains out there among some of you guys that have probably faced the same situation. I picked up a new Taylor's 62 Richmond and shot it today to figure if the sights were anywhere close to where they should be for what I want it to do. Using prb's at 50 yds. it is about 1 ft. high and slightly to the right. I have figured maybe I'd have to file a groove in the front sight base and set it up with a taller front sight, but was just wondering what other guys do to get them to shoot to point of aim. Does anyone know of an adjustable sight that is made to replace the rear maybe?
I know guys shoot clays at 100 yds. doing skirmish matches and was just wondering how they are configuring the sights to do this.
I shoot a match now and then at a local club, and with the musket category we are limited to 50 yds. and prb's. I tried it with between 60 and 80 gr. of 2f with little difference in point of impact.
Anybody have experience with this?

That is one option I was thinking about....making up a wider, taller front sight and maybe opening up one side of the rear notch. I would think there would be a regular sight fix guys use to get them to shoot to POA.

Check with Lodgewood Mfg. or S & S Firearms. They cater to the N-SSA and can probably give you some advice and will probably have wider front sights, etc. If I remember correctly, what you have on your rifle for the rear sight is like the 1855 rear sight?

Google them or go to the N-SSA site and look at the sutler section for the link.

With a good fitting minie and the right load workup - your rifle ought to clear a pigeon board at 25, 50 and 100 yards once you get used to it.

Back