1861 Navy buttstock

Remington Kid

Thanks, Remington Kid! I realize now the reason I could'nt find one is I was specifing 1861 rather than 1851. I guess it's only made for the 51. Will it fit the 61?

NeD Christy

Ned, It's my understanding that the the 51 and 61 should use the same stock.
You may need to check and see what make revolver you have, Is it Pietta , Uberti , EMF or what??? Then you can ask one of the dealers if they have one for your gun. Hope this helps, Mike

PS Cabelas did carry one for the Piettas but I don't know if they still do. Also you may try Dixie and many others.

I agree. I think the 1851 and 1861 use the same handle and maybe even the same cylinders. From looking at them I think Colt only changed the barrel assembly to be more "organic" looking, and then stuck it on the front of existing '51 Colt Navy frames.

Why they did that is a question I want to know, but my guess is that they fit in holsters better with rounded edges?

Colt made stocks for dragoons and 51 navies but the most common type- like the current reproductions are dependent on the elongated screws on either side of the frames of the 1860 and 61 and the notch in the butt. Dixie Gunworks catalogs these stocks:
attachment.php

80 yards

Last edited:
well, thanks guys!!!.now I know what that notch in the bottom of the butt is!!!...I just never figured or thought of it bein for a shoulder stock..I spent a long time wonderin about that...but was to embaressed to ask....thanks

Back