1858 Remington Revolver Questions

Gator Weiss

My 1858 Pietta has me beat. The internal parts jam. I can't figure out why. It is stamped Pietta. It is stainless steel. I bought it in 1978 or 1979 in Dallas from a Gun Shop. It has been a good revolver. I changed out the hand with a new Pietta replacement hand identical to the one that was original. This.thing.won't let me.cock the hammer and I can't figure out why. I have had this gun apart many times before for deep cleaning and I know my way around it inside and out. I have struggled with this problem and can't see what's wrong. Anyone else run into this problem ?????

If your problems started after you installed the new hand, it needs fitting. Repair parts for these are not drop in & go. If you measure the old and new hands, you will probably find that the old one is shorter than the new one. The result is that new hand is keeping the hammer from going back far enough to engage the full cock notch before the bolt drops into the bolt notch.

Spring broke on the old hand. The new hand appears to the eye to be exacting. Perhaps I need to measure and mike the two. It could be the hand size. When I take the cylinder out, I still can't vet the hammer to move back at all from its down position. Something isn't right somewhere.

Try this

Take the cylinder out and see if the hammer goes back.

I agree with Dragoon and Fingers.

If the pistol cocks with the cylinder out, your problem almost has to be the hand.

Also, with the cylinder out you can examine the operation of the hand...

1. Does it hang up?
2. Does it appear to extend out of the frame about the same as the old one?

....and the operation of the bolt. You didn't change the bolt and it isn't acting like a bolt problem (in my experience) but you could also verify proper operation of the bolt easier than trying to sight through the pistol with the cylinder in place.

Back