1851 Pietta navy trigger not working

Bonzoluv

So I disassembled the revolver, not even all the way but half way. And then when I went to put it back together the trigger no longer works. I can cock back the hammer but there's no click that sends the hammer back. I'm pretty sure I screwed everything back in right.

welcome to TFL

I'm pretty sure I screwed everything back in right.

If it worked before you took it apart and doesn't work after you put it back together, I'm pretty sure you didn't get everything back in right. :D

I don't have that specific revolver, but usually there is a spring (usually a flat spring) that puts some tension on the trigger so it engages the hammer, my guess would be that either you left it out, or you installed it incorrectly.

There is a GREAT black powder pistolsmith in Bisbee, AZ, who can fix anything and make it better, Jackrabbit1957. If you decide you'd like to send it to him for repair/refurb/upgrade, I can try to get you in touch.

video

Mike Belavue (duelist 54) has a great video on YouTube concerning disassembly/reassembly of the Colt percussion revolvers. If I can do it after watching, anyone can1:D

There are a number of good videos out theater on disassembly and reassembly of the Colt C & B revolvers - the '51 & '61 Navies, '60 Army, Dragoons, etc. are all of the same operational design. Watch the videos and re-watch them until you understand how the revolver works and the function of each part - it isn't a great mystery that only some people can understand.

When you put the trigger back in and then reinstall the two leg spring that is the last part to be put in before reinstalling the trigger guard, 1. make sure that the spring is installed correctly so that the long leg fits in the slot and presses on the trigger, (the short leg applies pressure on the bolt) and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, make sure the trigger is puller all the way FORWARD (towards the muzzle end) and that the trigger spring leg applies downward on the trigger, When reinstalling the spring and the spring screw into the frame, it is not necessary to "reef" on the screw. On my Colt clones, I usually gently tighten the screw and then back it off about an 1/8 turn. They aren't going to go anywhere because the spring and screw is "captured in the milled spring channel in the bottom of the frame and the trigger guard.

Don't fret - you haven't done anything that can't be fixed and you aren't the first person to have this happen. Once you have disassembled and reassembled your Colt clone a few times and understand the function of each part, it will become old hat. Good luck!

NOTE: When I posted this, I had about a half a dozen things on my mind and mis-stated that the short leg of the spring applied pressure to the trigger as the trigger spring - sorry - it is indeed the long leg that applies pressure for the trigger as stated in the post after this one. Make sure that the installed and then pulpit towards the muzzle, as you install the spring fit it in the notch and then tighten the spring screw. My apologies.

Last edited:
Oliver - you are indeed correct. I had a number of things going on and on my mind when I typed my post up. I have corrected it. As I stated, the mistake that many make is that they don't move the trigger all the way forward towards the muzzle and then fit the spring into the corresponding notch of the trigger, then tighten the spring screw down. Once again my apologies.

Back