1851 Navy Pepperbox .36 cal

noelf2

Cabela's has the new(er) and better looking Pietta navy pepperbox for 199.00. With $10 off and free shipping at the moment, it's not a bad deal. I'm hoping a conversion cylinder becomes available at some point. Will be an interesting novelty. Backordered at the moment, and expected in about a week.

Yeah light loads only. I was more concerned about the 44 than this 36. A combo cylinder could be made for just about any caliber an still work on the frame. I wonder if the arbor is mounted or otherwise different when a wedge isn't needed? I'll do a video or pics when I get it. Knowing Cabela's backorder time estimates are usually far from accurate, it could be months before I get it though.

I just had a look see.
It's not much of a pepper box replica.
More like a '51 Colt Navy with an extra long cylinder sans barrel.
Not what I was expecting.

Not sure why. We don't all enjoy the same things. It intrigues me for some reason. Funny that my father said the same thing about my TC Hawken when I brought it home in the 70's.

Looks like something for the C&B concealed crowd, heh-heh. If that is a standard frame, it doesn't buy you much more velocity than the forcing cone. Reduce the charge to 16 gr. volume buys you a little more time in tube, but not much. Still, it's going to do more than sting like the dickens at card table range. It's probably still fun, but it ain't a Walker by any stretch.

They did exist but the original design was much better.

pepperbox.jpg

Uh-oh. Now I want an 1847 Walker pepperbox. No way that I'm butchering a Walker to get it, though it would buy you more barrel and charge capacity. If a boy had the money, he could have some fun, eh?

Back