1851 conversion

ron68

Inactive
I have a 1851 navy fllipietta black powder relover made with a brass frame. It fires just fine. Been told that it is unsafe to install a cartridge cylinder in a brass frame relvolver. Wondering if anyone has any experience in this matter. Thanks

I have not done it; there's a good reason to not do it.

I'm not sure I'd characterize it as unsafe, but it is certainly unwise. Brass frame bp revolvers are known to suffer damage when subjected to repeated heavy loads; this damage is manifested in deformation of the recoil shield and cylinder support structure. Eventually the cylinder/barrel gap opens up, the cylinder end play increases, the action parts become loose, etc. Pretty much all the critical dimensions are changed. In the limit, if the abuse is continued the gun will become unsafe due to the inability of the cylinder to achieve proper timing.

As I said, this is due to repeated use of heavy loads. BP cartridge loads create less pressure than smokeless powder loads, and so are thought of as 'weak' in comparison. However, they are typically near the heavy range when compared with loose black powder loads, so they would be capable of producing damage on a brass framed revolver.

All the manufacturers of conversion cartridges warn against using them in brass framed guns. While one might argue that safety is not an issue for a couple of shots, it is certainly not a wise thing to do more than a few times. And if you can't do it repeatedly, why do it at all? Why intentionally damage your guns?

Yes, there are black powder cartridges available at retail, and many people load their own bp cartridges.

However, they are not intended for use in brass framed revolvers, for the reasons I mentioned above.

another thing to take into consideration is the bullet to barrel contact.

A round ball has minimal barrel contact, compaired to a factory bullet.

This increased contact alone causes the load to exert more force on the frame as the charge pushes it down the barrel.

Just Not a good idea to convert brass frames.

Another thing to consider.:confused:

I have Kirst Konverted 2 .36cal revolvers. one colt and one remington.
both are steel frames.

The problem you'll run into is with the bullet diameters.:mad:

your .36 is actually .375. and a 38special HBWC can stretch to fill in the space, but doesn't do that good of a job.:barf:

if your gonna convert a .36, go with a R&D conversion, and have R&D sleeve your barrel to .357 for 38 specal use.:D

Back