1851 Colt Conversion question

Maybe I need to clarify what I'm looking for!

I currently cast and load 255 & 160 grain bullets for 45 Colt shells. The 255 grain bullet is very punishing to the 1851 revolver, especially the wedge. The 160 grain bullet is very light duty and if I use the 160 in my Dragoon, it feels like I'm shooting blanks and not very gratifying in either pistol.

I'm really looking for the best of both worlds. A bullet weight that is not damaging to the revolver while being heavy enough to use as a "Out in the Woods" protection pistol for camping etc.

I'll admit, I like to feel the recoil and tend to load the powder on the heavy side.

Any bullet weight suggestions?

Thanks!

I use 200 grainers over nitro reloaded ammo in all my 1860 .44 cal. custom conversions.
I tried 230 grain factory ammo: too hard on the wedge.
Long Johns Wolf

I don't use conicals in my C&B revolvers - I only use .454" or .457" RB's with a Crisco (lard) overlay for lubrication.

My opinion is to load your 45's with lead balls like the gun was designed for. Crimp the balls on the wide circumference or just below it. Load with black powder to fill the case so the ball can't be pushed in further.

I like to shoot "Big Lube" cast bullets lubed with Felix in my Dragoon Conversion.
Filled to the bottom of the bullet with black powder. The bullet I use is from a mold that says it drops 220gn but my alloy is dropping just over 210gn or so.

I shoot two Dragoon Conversions in my CAS matches and I'm having no wedge trouble other than one came out unexpectedly and we had to stop the match for 10 minutes to find it. LOL.

www.Biglube.com and look at the molds. I was able to order a sampler pack and they applied the cost to my eventual mold purchase.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I going to pick up a 200 grain Lee mold in for 45 colt shells and play around with the powder loads on all three bullet weights I have and see which I like best.

Back