1851 Bolt Spring?

sixgunnin

What is the best 1851 navy bolt spring for a good price? I cant find anywhere that has shipping for less than about $7:mad: What should I expect to pay?
I had one break on my Pietta 1851.

Buy More Than One Thing

Shipping on something tiny like that always blows the price out of proportion, for starters I'd buy more than one spring, but also add some other items you need to the order.

You'll want a Pietta bolt/trigger spring. Dixie's prices are fair.

I tried the safety pin and it works very well!:) It is very much like the flat spring that broke, I put the screw through the eye on the back and bent the wires to press on the trigger and bolt.
Thanks for the input. I might have to put a tutorial on here if it holds up well.

Last edited:
I don't think a paper clip has as much spring in it as a safety pin.... but if it works, it works.

I'll have to look in my box of parts when I get home. I probably have an extra Pietta spring in there somewhere. I replace all mine with Wolff, but I keep the original parts.

These days, I replace the bolt side of the spring with a torsion spring that locates on the bolt screw pin. One end presses on the bolt while the other end is rotated forward (imparting tension) and secured by the combination spring screw. That's the same setup as the Ruger 3 screw revolvers. You won't be breaking that one !!¡

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Never heard of one doing it but I never tried it. I have heard CAS shooters saying they lasted for years along with bobby pin hand springs and they put more rounds downrange than anybody.

Back