1851 bolt issue

99whip

Inactive
Hello,

I could use some assistance. When the hammer reaches half cock, the bolt does not drop completely through the slot in the frame.

When I bought the gun used the hammer would not reach half or full cock, which it now does after I replaced the hammer, hand and spring, bolt, etc.

Thank you in advance,

First check if the bolt hangs up in the frame slot through which it protrudes. I've had some pistols that had burrs on the edges of the bolt cutout that caused the bolt to stick and not retract. A little judicious filing freed it up for perfect functioning.

If that is not the case, it is possible the arm of the bolt is not sliding off the trigger cam to let it drop when the hammer moves forward to rest on the frame. I'm not gonna comment any further til you check out the cutout in the frame first for burrs. Also someone who really knows what they are doing might just comment and straighten you out.

Have you tried the old bolt? If there's no burrs it may be the new bolt is taller than the old one.

Colt SAA parts are not just dropped in

In fitting new parts, fit the bolt first.

Note: The bolt spring that interacts with the hammer is sometimes relieved (filed so it is slightly trapezoid instead of rectangular) and if the bottom (the notch between the two legs) is square, then it could be slightly rounded with a needle file as this is a stress point.

The bolt head must fit each notch of the cylinder. If it must be narrowed, file it on the left and non-binding side. This may be done out of the frame. Next, check to make sure that the bolt head fits through its cylinder window (the opening in the frame that the bolt pops up and down out of). The bolt tail that interacts with the hammer must be nice and smooth and should correspond with the bevel of the hammer. As to the height to bolt must reach up, it should go as high as possible without bottoming out. That is, the bolt must be stopped by the frame and not the cylinder notch (this would create upward pressure against the cylinder).

In fitting the bolt to the hammer, there should be a .0001 to .0002" wink before the bolt contacts the hammer. That clearance determines the head start before the hammer contacts the bolt. Too much head start means the hand will try to rotate the cylinder before the bolt disengages the cylinder notch.

There is an arch in the bolt and this determines how long the bolt stays down. The longer it is, the longer it stays down. The shorter, the faster the bolt falls off the hammer.

Turning to the hand. Like the Python, the top of the hand begins the rotation and the second step of the hand completes it. The top of the hand should be as long as possible, but should not be so long as to begin the rotation before the bolt disengages the cylinder notch. The bolt should pop up before the second step of the hand completes the cylinder's rotation. The cylinder itself should be fully rotated to the next chamber before the second step finishes.

Trigger. The length of the trigger affects the timing of each notch. The trigger should push the hammer back slightly before the hammer falls off the sear. This makes for a neater trigger pull and is safe and secure. Trigger pull should be from four to 4 1/2 lbs. How far back into the hammer the trigger goes determines creep. Do not remedy it by reducing the hammer notch as it can cause the hammer notch to slam into the sear as it rotates forward. It is better to peg the trigger (drill the trigger & press in a peg to extend the back of the trigger and then file the peg to fit). If you find that there is not enough engagement between the sear part of the trigger and the hammer at full cock, you may relieve the back of the hammer slightly such that the sear part of the trigger sits further back.

Strongly suggest for anyone who wants to work on SAA or blackpowder Colts & Remingtons to take a NRA summer single action gunsmithing class. They're one week long and you learn a lifetime skill.

Thank you guys for the suggestions.

Hawg, I decided to go back and try the old bolt and it seemed to resolve those problems. Drops out of the window, allows the cylinder to rotate, etc. Maybe I didn't need to replace that bolt, but the hammer and trigger were in such poor condition when I bought this gun I figured it might be wise to replace all those parts.

I did create a new problem though - after putting the cylinder on and testing the bolt, running it through half and full cock, the hand spring (hand and spring are also new replacement parts) ended up breaking. So now I need to fix that. I would try the old hand but the little post that fits down into the hammer doesn't spin freely, almost like it is out of round.

Gary - thanks for your thoughtful reply, lots of great information in there and thank you for sharing it. I will copy and paste it so I don't lose it. I think one of those courses would be fun, hopefully there is something near me.

Another question for you guys regarding a new hand and spring - when you go to fit those - do you first shape it similar to the old one (leaving some extra room for additional filing) then insert it and see how it works, or insert the new unaltered hand and spring and then see what extra fitting may be needed?

Thanks again.

If the old one works use it as a pattern or just make a new spring for it out of a bobby pin. If the old one doesn't work then you get to install it and see what happens. If it's too long which is normal then file a little put it in and try it. Take it out, file a little, put it in and try it. Repeat til it works correctly. :D

Thanks Hawg,

I was probably a little over zealous in assessing what needed to be replaced and went too far too fast.

As it turns out, even though the hammer, trigger, and mainspring were trashed and needed replacement, the original bolt and hand/hand spring seem to be fine. And with them installed everything is working great.

The old hand did need some fitting to the hammer, that little post did not want spin very well in the hole on the hammer but I polished things up and cleaned off any burrs and all is good.

Thanks again to all you guys for the help and patience. I learned a lot and have a working gun as a result.

Glenn

Back