1849 Colt Pocket Revolver

TemboTusk

I just picked up a new toy from the gun show today!

Can anybody tell me who the Italian manufacturer is?

See pictures of the identifying marks below.

Thanks!

_D7K2811b.jpg

_D7K2811.jpg

_D7K2814.jpg

Hawg,

I have tried to test some 1862 parts that are close. Fingers McGee says he has tried finding parts with all of the current manufacturers with little success with this brand revolver.

The issue I'm having with the this pistol is that the trigger and hammer mating point at full cock are worn making the trigger very light. I was hoping to R&R the parts, but with this being a very old orphaned revolver, I will try to carefully square up the mating points.

Guys....

Perhaps this thread is worth exploring further.

TT is experiencing the very problem that every one of us has faced and every new entrant into BP revolver shooting will eventually confront.

The situation is that there are many examples of old revolvers on the market for which parts are now, and in some cases always have been non-existant.

We are constrained to use parts as Hawg said, from either Pietta or Uberti.

So if this thread is sustained and the result is a repaired revolver, which repair is chronicled here, then the newby who searches the forum for PR revolvers, will find it and be thus illuminated.

My experience in buying parts even from Dixie or others who say they are supplying parts specifically for ASM or some other company's revolver is that you have to fit the part. It is eminently doable and actually quite a bit of fun, but for the guy who is used to replacing a master cylinder on a 64 MGB, the picture is quite different. VTI is NOT the equivalent of J.C. Whitney because parts for 64 MGBs are not the equivalent in compatibility to parts for a 74 PR Sheriff.

So TT has a problem with the Trigger to Hammer interface on this pistol. The photos are of a pistol that is clearly worth fixing.

It may be that he doesn't need a hammer or a trigger but only a file.

I guess I am saying that there is an awful lot of expertise on this forum. I am surprised that others haven't entered the discussion.

Just reread my post and it sounds like I am griping. But I am on my second double shot of Jack Daniels so please blame Mr. Daniels as well.

As you render advice, keep in mind that TT is a very capable craftsman. It appears from past projects that there isn't much he can do.

Lets fix this pistol.

Last edited:
The pistol is. Just depends on how much time you want to spend on it. There are no currently made repair parts that will drop in or work without a fair amount of fitting. The Doctor is correct. "Perhaps this thread is worth exploring further."

I think it would be surprising how many of us own orphaned Italian Colt replicas. My own stable is almost all ASM; it seems every time I buy a used pistol is is an orphan! Even when I manage to buy a current model, I find a way to bastardize it by mixing and matching different manufacture's parts to get what I want. IE: a Pietta 1851 with a ASM trigger guard, back strap and grips. (I can't stand Pietta grips ... just wrong!)

It would be good to know what current model parts work with what orphan pistols or at least which parts with a bit of work can be made to fit and function.

Well, I have managed to fix the trigger/hammer issue with my Pierino Ruschetta 1849 and get a typical trigger pull. I used a dove tail mill to under cut the hammer's full cock notch and give the trigger more purchase.

Hammer+repair+1.jpg

TT

Congrats on the fix. Let us know how it works.

I echo your sentiments on interchangeability of parts.

But in the end I think it would be a short list. Pietta parts don't even fit some Piettas.

Thanks Doc! I only took a very little bit of metal off and it made a world of difference.

Live testing won't be for a few weeks. I've ordered a conversion cylinder for it from Taylors & Co. My next project is to find some 32 S&W ammo!

If you are going to do much shooting, you should use Casenit to harden the hammer notch and trigger so they don't wear.

Jim

James that was something I was wondering about and not quite sure what to do about it.

How should I go about hardening the area I milled? I'm not familiar with Casenit or how to use it.

Back