1849 Colt Pocket Model

GEC58

Inactive
I have an 1849 Colt Pocket Model that was passed down to me from my grandfather. Serial # is 62633 and from my research it appears to have been manufactured in 1853. I have been looking at pictures of other 1849's on different web sites and all the pictures I have seen are of guns with some wear and tear on them. My gun looks like it was treated with a lot of TLC. Is it possible that I have a replica that was manufactured early 1900's I know my grandfather was a gun collector and I can't imagine that he owned a fake.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Oh, and I am going to sell it. I am not a gun collector.

We will need some good pictures of the gun and also the markings. If it is a reproduction, it would have been made much more recently than 1900, since there was almost no repro industry until the Civil War centennial in the 1960's.

Pocket Models, like other civilian guns, show up in a wide range of conditions, and I have seen them all. Everything from ones carried in all weathers to ones dug up on a battlefield to ones beat up by generations of children playing with them to ones kept in a bureau drawer since they were new and never loaded or fired.

Jim

Back