180gr bullets in the .40 S&W & kB's

Beowulf

I'm curious that with the evidence of kB's in Glocks, specially when using heavier weight bullets (180 grainers), that more companies don't use a lighter weight bullet in their standard FMJ .40 S&W loading.

I mention this because it seems like every time I look for commercial .40 S&W FMJ practice ammo it is only available in the 180 grain bullet weight.

Just a thought - Would it not make sense for the ammo makers to load ther .40 S&W offerings with bullets in the 155/165 grain range, thereby reducing the likelyhood of a kB?

What are your thoughts?

Rob

I am not aware of a Glock kb problem with any factory ammo. I believe it to be a problem with hot hand loads.

I believe its due to an unsupported chamber on one of the models of Glocks .40 and shooting handloads. Shooting new ammo you will get a bulg in the brass. Shooting handloads you run the risk of rupture because the brass has suffered metal fatigue after being fired, resized, and reloaded.

Shok

Around here in Phoenix, I actually have to go out of my way to find 180gr. loads. Most of the practice stuff is PMC in 155/165gr TMJ.

I've shot a lot of 180 gr. FMJ UMC Yellow Box through my Glock 35 with no complaints from me or the gun (other than the somewhat dirty powder). And that stuff is hot enough to make IPSC major, too. I reload with the brass and whatever bulging there is isn't a problem.

I don't worry about kabooms because I use jacketed bullets and non-insane loads.

i have seen some of the KB threads on various sites but i thought they were all with lead bullets. i wasn't aware of jacketed problems-Are there any?????Dick

I've owned a Glock 23 that I carried on duty for a few years before switching over to the H & K USP. I shot my 23 about five thousand rounds without any fail to fire, stovepipes, not one thing went wrong. I shot 135, 165, and 185 grain without any problems. I personally don't think it's the gun. It has something to do with a badly loaded lot of ammunition.

The most research that has been done on the Glock kB issue is by Dean Speir. Here is a link to the kB FAQ,

(http://greent.com/40Page/general/faq-kb.htm)

so that all who are interested in this subject can learn more. There have been reports of kB's using factory ammo, mostly using 180 grain bullets. In the reported cases of kB's NONE have been in Glocks chambered for the 9mm. Only the .40's and bigger have been recorded to have this phenomenon.

I use and carry a G23 and don't worry about it going kB. I have personnaly seen only 1 kB'd Glock, a Model 22. The owner swore he was using factory 180 grain FMJ ammo at the time of the failure.

I do believe that Glock needs to address the issue in a more complete way than what they have in the past. Queries to them have uniformly resulted in the party line answer of "its the ammo". While in part I'm sure this is true, Glock could do/could have done more to avoid the kB problem. Example - redesign the chamber area so that the case is fully supported and the chamber walls are beefier.

Rob

kB's

I saw my first Glock kB this weekend. The kB occurred using factory ammo in a G21 (.45). In retrospect, perhaps we should have seen it coming.

I was at Front Sight in Nevada, taking their 4 day defensive handgun course (which I highly recommend, btw. I was very impressed.) One of my fellow students was shooting American Ammo through his G21. I was on the line next to him on several occasions and noticed he was having some jacket separation issues. After close-range shots there would be one nice, round hole, and several smaller shrapnel-type holes. On the fourth and final day of the class, we were doing timed presentation and firing drills from various distances. Since we were all firing in the same very short time limits, I didn't even hear it blow, though the shooter was only 2 students down the line. I was conducting my after action drills when I noticed the gun on the ground and the student hurrying back to the back of the range. I reholstered my own pistol and noticed my hands were wet. I looked down and saw I had blood on my shirt and hands. I had caught a small piece of shrapnel of some sort in my finger.

Inspecting the G21 after the kB revealed classic kB effect. The mag was blown out the bottom, and the mag floor and spring had been blown out of the mag. The mag floor ended up approximately 15 feet to the shooter's left. The sides of the grip just below the chamber were blown out and the slide was bowed outward. The round was still partially in the chamber and was cracked and seperated in the 6 o'clock position, where the cartridge was unsupported.

The ammo was labeled American Ammuntion, "copper coated." I didn't write it down, but if memory serves they were 230 grains.

I don't know if the student had cleaned his gun over the course of the 4 day class. The good news is that he while he suffered a fairly severe cut on his hand between the thumb and index finger, and some powder stippling on his face, there did not appear to be any permanent damage. After having the cut bandaged by the on-site EMT's, the student returned to the range to finish the course with his Kimber.

I don't know the actual cause of the kB, and the parts of the gun were retrieved for later analysis, but I suspect that the seperation of the copper coating "jacket" allowed lead deposits to accumulate in the polygonal barrel. The student had fired approximately 700 rounds of this ammo over the 4 day course, and if he didn't clean the gun it might have allowed lead build-up.

I am still considering purchase of a G21, but this gives me pause. I would recommend in any case to avoid the particular combination of copper-coated ammo (rather than jacketed) and extended firing of the Glock.

I hope that this may save another person's hand who might otherwise have thought that kB's "don't happen with factory ammo."

addendum: I forgot to mention that, ironically, the student had previously ordered a Bar-Sto fully-supported-chamber barrel for the G21 that kB'd, but it didn't arrive in time for the class.

Back