1800's Flintlock Pistol Identification Needed

Harvey1968

Inactive
I have a pair of these. Dueling pistols? Would like to know maker and age and possible value for both. Thanks!
IMG_3737.jpg

These once were a pair of Queen Anne travel pistols with flintlocks. Someone did a very curious - and unfortunately crude - adaption to percussion cap. Never seen one where they used the battery spring to drive the hammer. Value in the current condition is low, probably a couple hundred bucks.

"...Dueling pistols?..." No. More like a derringer.
Looks more like a Miquelet lock than a flinter. Very difficult to tell anything about 'em without pictures of any proof marks or makers marks. Assuming there are any marks.
Likely another case of everybody and his brother made stuff like that. No marks usually means a small independent smithy made 'em.
Queen Anne pistols have longer barrels without the forestock. Generally in use from around 1650 to 1780. Long before a percussion anything existed.
Your's still a traveling pistol style. Top one by Walsh(highly unlikely your's is that).
http://trueantiques.co.uk/folderantiquearmespre1900/antique-pistols

Harvey, the second one is missing it's front barrel mounting plate
6156_pistol_01.jpg

The Belgians supplied half of Europe with firearms in the 19th century, and they even retrofitted flint locks on obsolete percussion guns in the 1870's for export to Africa. Unless you can identify the customer, with the damage, the value is nominal.

Lacks refinement (engraving or inlays, fancier wood, precious metals) of a dueling pistol. That and the miquelet lock was predominantly a Spanish/Muslim lock and Muslim made firearms are generaly decorated with inlays. This makes me think it was assembled by a European smith.

That said, it is not a dueler. Dueling was only between men with honor, that is gentlemen and aristocracy. Code Duello did not apply to the common rif-raff as they had no honor to defend and were mere villanous brawlers. :D Mind you, that didn't deter the frontier American from gouging out each other's eyes or biting off bits of their opponent's lips or ear or nose.

Glad I live in a more civilised period.

Thank you everyone with your knowledge. I appreciate it. Found in an attic the other day and want to sell them for the owner. Now I have good information. Appreciate that.

Back