.17HMR vs .22LR

tgtate

Inactive
Wanting to get a small varmint rifle for paper punching, coons and just to have a project rifle that I can really trick out! Here in Texas, there has been a shortage of .22LR. Up until recently, I can find boxes of 100 rounds for $10 at my Cabela's. What would y'all choose? And if I get a .22LR it will be in a Ruger 10/22. What rifle is best for a .17HMR?

17HMR is often in the $12-15/50 price range. 22LR is trending cheaper than that price.
On the other hand, my 17HMR rifles are amazingly accurate-more so than the average 22lr.
Performance wise, the 17HMR is in a totally different category vs. the 22lr. For varmints, there's really no comparison-the 17HMR wins every challenge.
I've seen both cartridges fail on coyotes but on smaller stuff like groundhogs, the 17 offers far better effect and reduced chances of ricochet or pass through.
One of the downsides is the noise level. The 17HMR(especially the sorter barrel models) are significantly loud. I have a Ruger 77/17 with a 20"(?) barrel and a Ruger American Rimfire with a 16" barrel. The 20" barrel is tolerable w/o ear plugs but the 16" seems much louder.

Ive gotten into the 17hmr pretty hard over the past few months.

My buddy got me into Prairie dog shooting. I started using a suppressed 22bolt gun. When he brought out his 77/17 one day...i was hooked.

Since then we have both bought Ruger American Predators in 17hmr and LOVE the guns.

There are getting to be a bunch of different ammo available. 17gn Vmax is the choice for Pdogs. He tried some 17gn hollow points with less then great results. I think the HP's have a thicker jacket. Ive just picked up some 20gn HP's that might be just the ticket for larger stuff.

I just form 4'd a Spectre suppressor to shoot the 17 thru. It should make next Pdog season even better

Quoting Chuck Hawks "Shooting flat go with the 17 hmr. Shooting upward (like shooting squirrels out of trees and such) go with the 22 lr." The 22 lr is great for just about all short range small game, I personally think everyone should have a couple, but like a previous commenter said, the .17 hmr will always outperform the 22 lr.

"Shooting upward (like shooting squirrels out of trees and such) go with the 22 lr."

Actually, I feel the 17 is safer for squirrel hunting than a 22lr. Those tiny 17 grain bullets disintegrate if they hit a branch and offer far less damage/injury capabilities than a 40 grain 22 bullet at the outer end of their flight path.
I've been squirrel hunting today using a 22 with sub-sonic round nose ammo. Four of five shots resulted in a whining ricochet zinging out through the timber after hitting their target. I was being very careful to only take shots oriented away from any known occupied areas. I've not had this happen with 17HM2 or HMR.

17hmr is the better caliber in every way except price of ammo. But as far as platforms to trick out and customize,.. A Ruger 10/22 is far and away the leader. Its the AR of the rimfire world.

17HMR is a much better and much pricier cartridge, I suspect the guns are going to be less available and also more expensive. have you looked at .22WMR? 22wmr is about the same rice as .17 ammo wise, just something else to consider, maybe find a better selection of firearms in it. nothing wrong with LR for the purposes you state, and would save you a ton and give you an affordable semi-auto platform that I am not sure is available in the other calibers.

they do have .17HMR semi-auto's, not as customizable as a 10/22 of course, but I bet they are pretty sweet. gander mountain and others have them for under 400$
http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/savage-a17-review/

this would be cool if you could find one. Ruger 10/17TM
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/uncategorized/new_products_ruger_062904/

here is one. pretty rare rifle, seems like a great price
http://www.armslist.com/posts/4723081/salem-oregon-rifles-for-sale-trade--ruger-17hm2

Last edited:
Savage has a new .17 HMR semi-auto that was designed specifically for the cartridge. The Savage A17. Reviewed in Oct. 2015 issue of 'American Rifleman' -the NRA magazine. Suggested MSRP around $ 460. Might be worth looking at.

Back