.17 remington

Keeper

I have a chance to get a .17 rem classic rifle for a decent price but I am not familiar with the round. I am looking for a varmint gun so it might fit the bill but I do not want to get a rifle that is hard to find ammo for or that will be obselete in a few years.

Thank you.

I used to own a Sako in a .17 rem. Shot nice and flat, tends to lose a bit of smack when you get at distances of 250 to 300+ yds. I shot coyotes with mine, it was deadly at closer ranges. Made J-E-L-L-O out of their inards, and rarely exits. Had some folks say that you will shoot the barrel out a lot sooner because of it's high velocity, can't say weather that's true or not. Not everybody carries the .17 but most well stocked shops should. If I remember correctly the 25gr. HP is the most common. It does nasty things to prairie dogs and the likes. Wind effects this little guy quite a bit as you can imagine. But it sure is fun to shoot.

I was in Idaho a few years ago and had the chance to fire the mighty .17 Remington.
Used it to explode crows and other scavenger birds. Almost no adjustment for range. It was fun to shoot. Very accurate.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Due to the number of wildcats being produced in this caliber, I doubt the .17 Rem will become obsolete anytime soon. IMO it is the King of the Hill and is inherently accurate.

Mine is a Kimber. Of the 3 varmit guns in my case, it is my favorite to shoot.

I can't speak as to the availibility of ammo since I roll my own with 25 grain moly coated Bergers or Hornadys.

I want to put together a varmint gun for hunting nutria in Louisana and I might even
get the chance to do some ground hog hunting with relatives in Colorado.

One thing I was told about the .17 by the owner - You gotta clean that barrel very frequently. He would run a brush down the bore every 10 rounds and wanted me to do the same.
I dont know if thats standard SOP with the .17 - maybe he was just a little nutty.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

I gave my hunting buddy in England a 17/222 that was taking up vault space and he uses it for fox. He installed a suppressor and a night vision scope and since July has taken about 200 fox at ranges out to 300 yards. He uses the 20 gr Vmax at about 4000 and it is very impressive. It is a solid ¼ MOA rifle if you clean it every couple of rounds which isn't hard to do with a working rifle. It doesn't blow e fox up but turns it to mush and never exits. You will get a lot of pleasure out of it and when it's not fun anymore you can always rebarrel to 223. The largest thing he has taken with it is a 400 lb. Wild bore. With one round in the ear.

Back