.17 Hornady Magnum Revolver

Runner

Hmmmmm, just got my March American Rifleman

I am now wondering about the feasibility of a revolver offered in the new .17 Hornady Magnum cartridge...

Any thoughts or comments?

As soon as I laid eyes on the Rifleman cover I thought the same thing. If the round is as quiet as they claim (between .22lr and .22mag.) it would be alot easier on the ears than a .22 hornet.

All the development work for the .22 mag seems to be for rifles even though the revolvers either beat them to the market or close to it. Seems like more people shooting wmrs in convertibles than rifles. I wouldn't be surprised to see a handgun or two out pretty soon for the 17

Two companies are already working on .17 revolvers, per SHOT show talk. Should be out by late summer/early fall.

it's rimmed and non reloadable, setback matters little. I would like to see it in an naa mini revolver with a 2" tube. sounds neat to me anyways.

"it's rimmed and non reloadable, setback matters little."

I beg your pardon?

Setback means EVERYTHING if the setback is bad enough to interfere with the operation of the gun.

It doesn't matter whether the case is center or rim fire, setback during firing can lock up the cylinder rotation.

It's not a question of reloading.

I think bullfrog was thinking bullet set back, which can cause over pressure. The bottle necked cartridge idea has been tried, it ain't the best set up. A .22mag suits me fine. I don't even want a rifle in .17.

Bullet setback is normally caused by recoil, and shouldn't be anything even remotely resembling a problem in a caliber with little to no recoil.

Even so, bullet setback WOULD be a problem if it did occur. Setback can cause tremendous increases in pressure, which I could see blowing out the rim on this critter. No matter what the size of the cartridge, that's never a good thing at all.

Taurus in buliding one.

Taurus is building one, and already had one to play with at the
shot show, should be pretty sweet, it will be set up just like the
raging hornet.

So whatever happened to the 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum? Claimed ballistics were not quite as good as the .17 is supposed to be, and I believe there were early production problems, but it was (on paper) a big improvement to the .22 Mag. And it's gone. Why didn't it last, and why will the .17 survive (which I hope it does)? Any thoughts?

If they can solve the setback problems that occur with a high-intensity bottlenecked casing, I still won't be interested

Mike, what kind of setback were you referring to, other than bullet setback. A lot of gun terms are still new to me.

With necked ammo, in a revolver, you can have case setback. Where upon firing, the case moves back in the chamber and stickes out making the cylinder hard or impossible to turn. I am pretty sure this happens because the necked part of the brass doesn't expand tightly against the chamber wall as it does in straight brass.

Back