17 HMR Savage SA??

Creek Henry

I have some Cabelas points to redeem and have my eye on one. So... Are they at all accurate? How's the reliability? Ammo finicky?

Thx... My son would like to plink with one also.

I think the initial recall drama with all the 22 Magnum semi auto platforms that were redone for 17 HMR has made a lot of people very wary of buying 17 HMR semi autos. This is why I think there haven't been any responses for the last two days.

With the price of ammunition, I'd go for a bolt action 17 HMR myself.

Jimro

I have an early Savage 93R17 bolt gun. It's superbly accurate. It's a great squirrel rifle, provided you hit the critter in the hinds.

I love mine, but would never consider a semi-auto. A semi auto rim fire is cool, when ammo isn't $15 per box.

Savage has a new .17 HMR semi-auto - A17 - that was supposedley engineered around the cartidge, to guarantee function reliability, might be worth a look.

Ive been lookin at the A17 they have at walmart for a while now. Its fairly cheap and they always have ammo for it. Seems like I read mixed reviews, so I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, so to speak.

I pulled the trigger and got one today. It was on sale, i had 2 gift cards for Cabelas and I had over $200 in credit card points. Also there is a $30 Savage rebate in the works so the gun cost me $40 instead of $450 + tax.

I imagine I will get my money"s worth! Ammo cost me more than the gun set me back. Also i can use a reddot sight I already have.

I have two of them, both shoot better then I can.

357570616.jpg

I got to shoot her today. Wow. It didn't go bang every time it should have but maybe it needs a break in period. Very accurate and fun.

Back