17 HMR dry fire

HDTVSELLER

I have a bolt action marlin 17hmr and does anyone see the harm in using spent brass as like snap caps as long as the firing pin doesnt strike same spot and never using brass more then say 2 or 3 times ?

What would be the purpose of dry firing it that much?

Dry firing is a well recognized practice method, as the mechanics of pulling the trigger are the same whether the gun is loaded or not. It allows for trigger time without spending money on ammo, range fees, etc. It can also help you to find flaws in your technique, since small variances in your point of aim as a result of movement during the trigger pulling process can be seen more easily when there is no recoil to mask them.

I think there is a product called a snap cap made for the purpose of dry firing. I am not sure there made for the 17HMR though.

I just like the idea of practice the trigger break ect and 2 i feel better when i cleaned the rifle to do a function check of fire pin strike and extraction ect

Me and my shooting buddy dry fire our guns all the time and have never had an ounce of trouble from it.

My 303 has been dry fired more times than its shot actual ammunition,
but yea if you wanted to do what you said its not going to do any damage to anything.

i just dont dry fire with out something in the chamber cause ive read all the time that it damages the firing pin if your not striking something on a rimfire.

I have a Savage 93R17 in .17HMR that has a regular trigger. It was rough, gritty and heavy when I got it and I managed to smoothen it out a bit by dry-firing on an empty case. Didn't hurt it a bit and everytime I dry-fired it, the firing pin struck in a slightly different spot on the rim probably due to rotation of lifting the bolt to recock it.

Note that this is only my opinion, but to put dry firing a rimfire rifle in perspective , occasionally dry firing a rimfire rifle will not damage it. I would think dry firing a rimfire rifle even hundreds of times would not damage it. It is only when people dry fire thousands of times that wear would occur on the firing pin.
There are a number of semi auto .22's that give you no choice but to dry fire after your last shot. Even though I'm aware of your concerns regarding dry firing a rimfire I've never actually met someone that broke a firing pin due to dry firing a rimfire.
I just referred to my owners manual for my Sako .17hmr and nowhere does it mention not to dry fire. Use "snap caps" if you must, but I would think you could get extraction problems if continually using spent cartridges as an alternative to snap caps. I guess you will have to weigh up the risk involved with breaking an extractor versus breaking a firing pin. I guess I'll just keep to occasional dry firing.

dry firing

Do not dry fire a rimfire or centerfire, without the use of snap caps. I t is avery poor practice to do so. Call me 978-424-7024 if U want a full explanation.:)Cliff

Back