17 Fireball... you guys buying up all the ammo ???

or is it already destined to go away...

Hornady is now pushing it's new 17 Hornet ( I've bought a couple boxes of that ammo to use to fire form in my 17 K Hornet Contender barrel )

... but my buddy & I are building 17 Fireball guns right now ( he's building a single shot bolt action rifle from scratch ) I have a new custom Contender barrel currently waiting for scope bases right now, & we are looking at shortening the barrel / chamber of a 17 Remington chambered Remington 700 rifle to the Fireball, to give me a repeater...

I picked up a 100 17 Fireball cases at the last local gun show, but I wanted to try to buy a box of loaded ammo for fitment into the Remington 700 rifle, during conversion... appearntly loaded rounds are virtually non existant right now... I did find a box of premium ammo ( at a VERY premium price )

why would a company like Remington go through all the work of developing & building guns, & ammo & not push the sales of such, it just about guarantees failure & a loss of all product developement funds...

I do have 4 or 5 different 17 caliber guns, & the Fireball seems to be one of the most practical... I'm sure as a handloader I'll be able to get the components I need, but seems like in 2 years, the cartridge is dead...

unless of coarse, you guys are just buying up all the ammo ;)

Last edited:
My brother shoots a 17 remington. I think he makes his brass out of 223 but I am not sure. Any way its a fast and loud round. Its lots of fun.

Thanks TAYLOR... I'd never even heard of them or bought from them, but I found them in an internet search, & that's where I actually found a box to buy... it was the Premium stuff & priced pretty high... but then short of the Honady 17 Hornet stuff I bought on sale last week, I haven't bought loaded rounds in years :o

I found them in a search for some obscure ammunition/brass. However I still haven't found my ammunition/brass, but they have a pretty good selection of stuff. Don't feel bad I don't really buy loaded ammunition either.

6x47 Rem, the only commercial brass that I know of was produced by Federal. I can make it out of .222 Rem Mag brass, I'd just like to find some properly head stamped brass. I'm headed to Africa in two years and I wouldn't mind taking this rifle but the head stamp has to match the chamber.

Back