17 bmag

I wouldn't worry much about its range.

I'd worry about the B.mag's crappy design, cheap construction, quality issues, and safety issues. (If you don't have one, be sure to check with Savage to see if a particular rifle had the recall(s) complied with, before buying. :rolleyes:)

For .17 WSM, there are FAR better rifle options out there, than that joke from Savage.

Thanks I do have one and it seems to be ok at the range grouping at 200 yards. When you put a little wind in the picture it's all over the place. I think I will go back to my 22-250 model 700.

Thanks

Savage B-mag

My personal experience: Folks cloud up and rain on B-Mags. First up the action was novel and it takes time go get used to the cock on closing feature. The rotary magazine works well once gets the feel for loading it. If you don't like plastic you'll really not like the B-Mag. Savage was plagued with problem with accuracy in the original sporter. Today there still seems to be other problems with the rifle. Savage will take good care of customers. My feeling is that the ammo contributed to the original bad reputation. With decent ammo the rifle is accurate but no 700 yard gun. Should I be hunting with mine it would be less than 200yards on a still day. I do not, despite troubles, find the rifle to be a piece of crap. The rifle is better finished than my 93R. Of the two of find the 17 HMR the more accurate. For me, the jury is still out. Yes, I own and shoot a B-Mag.

Addendum: The recall was on the first run of rifles. There's information on the net. The owner could replace the parts himself. I am unaware of any additional recalls.

The rifle I was shooting was a stainless heavy barrel. That rifle is a replacement for the light barrel Sporter. On the stainless gun, the trigger started to malfunction. Savage "junked" that rifle. A new rifle is being sent. Despite troubles I do not think this rifle is a piece of crap. No complaints about Savage service.:)

Last edited:
Back