168 and 155 AMAX transonic ability

Greg500sw

I'm looking to stretch out my short .308 out to 1200-1300 yards and am looking for a budget bullet that can remain somewhat stable transonic. I have heard good things about the 178 and 208 amax, but have not found anything on the lighter 155 and 168 g bullets. I prefer the Hornady's because of the price. I'm not looking for uber match grade accuracy, just want to ring a 30" gong and a 18"x18" piece of steel every once and a while. Realistically this will get taken out that far 1-2 times a year, but I want to have the ability to play when I can. Thanks in advance!

Having sent lots of 168s key holing through 1000 yard targets, of the two I'd go with the 155s.

Better yet, the 178s. My personal favorite and what I use is the 175 SMKs. From what I've found they are not that much more expensive then Hornadys. Loaded to 2600 fps they would more then be adequate for the range you're talking about, and then some. I use them in both my Super Match M1A and my Model 70 Win. target rifle.

I like 168s, both Hornady and Sierra, but I wont shoot them past 600.

Might want to think about trying the Sierra Match King 155 bullets. They've done pretty well for me in a couple of .308s that I own......mind you, I do not shoot the distances you are trying.

I agree with Kraig that the Sierra 175s are more or less the gold standard in transonic stability.

I haven't had much luck with Hornady 155s transonic. But I've also never had a situation where I had paper targets to figure out what was going on. It could well be operator error or wind or whatever. With my 16" LMT at 1 mile elevation they go subsonic at about 1050y, so I don't learn that much about stability shooting on the 1000y range.

If you know you are hitting the transonic zone, stick with the 175 SMK or older 155gr Sierra. They use a tangent ogive. The Hornady Amax bullets use a secant ogive. One of the reasons for secant ogive bullets is the BC advantage you get when shooting normal High Power competition (max shot distance 600 yards).

Stay away from any bullet designated "VLD" for transonic velocities.

Projectiles that have a Tangent Ogive, generally have better dynamic stability by having more weight in the front. The projectiles tend to survive the transonic zone better and are more commonly used for extreme range shooting well outside the transonic zone. The BC of these projectiles are a little less than those exhibiting a Secant Ogive in the supersonic zone. However, the BC of Tangent Ogive projectiles are usually better once inside the subsonic area.

Projectiles constructed with a Secant Ogive, generally have a higher BC in the supersonic zone but due to their shape, have less dynamic stability in the transonic and subsonic zones. The BC of these projectiles therefore suffers in these areas. Shooter using Tangent Ogive projectiles should try to keep these inside the supersonic zone for best results.

https://www.precisionshooting.com.a...namic-Stability-Projectiles-tech-endnotes.pdf

Hope this is helpful.

Jimro

kraigwy
Having sent lots of 168s key holing through 1000 yard targets, of the two I'd go with the 155s.

Better yet, the 178s. My personal favorite and what I use is the 175 SMKs. From what I've found they are not that much more expensive then Hornadys. Loaded to 2600 fps they would more then be adequate for the range you're talking about, and then some. I use them in both my Super Match M1A and my Model 70 Win. target rifle.

I like 168s, both Hornady and Sierra, but I wont shoot them past 600.

+1

Back