165gr in .45 ACP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean2001

I was wondering if anyone here has any info on using 165gr JHP's in a HK USP. I was looking at Triton's 165gr +P, the energy level of this round is very high, the expansion looks great but what about penetration ? I think it would penetrate fine due to it's high velocity (1200-1250 fps). What do you think ?

I've heard that the shorter the bullet, the less accurate the round. The longer bullets are supposed to engage more of the rifling because of their length. I've seen so many counter examples of this, though, that I no longer believe it to be true all the time. I would stick with the 185 or 185+P rounds, but that's just me.

Give it a try and report back.

Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

I've used Federal's 165 gr PD HydraShoks in both my USP45C (3.8" barrel) and Beretta 8045 (3.6" barrel). The box says 1060 fps and 410 ft/lbs (they aren't +p), I've found them to be completely reliable and accurate in both guns. I like the lighter/faster rounds in the shorter barreled compacts, as you pointed out, to insure proper expansion. FWIW, M2

I recently had a 5" 1911 tested in a Ransom Rest (10 shot groups at yds).
Best Groups-
230 gr Hydrashoks - 1.27
Federal 185 gr Match MC SWC - 0.93
Cor Bon 165 gr +P JHP - 1.07
Triton Hi-Vel 165 gr +P JHP - 3.17
Probably not enough data to make any conclusions, but apparently it is possible for 165 gr 45 ACP ammo to be accurate.

As for penetration... with expanding bullets, increased velocity usually decreases penetration.

------------------
TB., NC
rosie.acmecity.com/bebe/6/index.html

On the rare occasions when I don't have my Glock 21 rigged for .400 Cor-Bon, I now keep it loaded with Triton 165gr. Quik-Shoks. They're designed to break into three pieces upon impact, causing three wound channels. I'm pretty confident in carrying them for self-defense purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back