165 Sierra GK for hogs

BoogieMan

My son is getting the chance for a hog hunt in NC. He is using my Fathers 760 Gamemaster 30-06 that was handed down. Anyway the prefered whitetail ammo for the past 30+ years has been the 165 Sierra game king. Its a devastating round for WT and I would think that with the punch of the -06 it would work equally well on hogs. Any advice or any reason he needs to test different ammo before the trip?
I only ask because I saw a hog shot 4 times and not stop with 180 Core Lokt. 5th shot did it.

I've killed some with 165 sgk in 308. Works just fine. Shot placement. I don't find that many hogs drop instantly other than a head or neck shot.

My main bullet is the 150gr Rem CL either hand loaded or factory. They have been putting hogs down solid for quite a few year out of my 16.5" barreled Ruger Compact. The key is hitting them right through the shoulder and not behind it like a deer. The other good spot is straight below the ear and in line with the eye. Those two shots take all the fun outta crawlin up in the thick stuff after them though.

Feel free to have a look see at some we have pulled off my and my friends place. If you notice there is that little rifle in a LOT of those pics.

My Pictures

Here is an excellent site to get acquainted with all things hog,

Texas Boars

Check out the links for Anatomy and Hunting Tactics

That will be a good choice for hogs. Mike has the right idea...hit them in the shoulder. Normally when one runs off, it's seems invariably that it was hit somewhere behind the shoulder. Go right up the front leg and put it through the middle of the shoulder and down they go.

sure

I can't imagine a hog (or deer) hit right, the first time, going very far, with a 165, or a 180 for that matter.

From what I have seen, most hogs for some reason seem to get hit in the butt. The same people that will place a round on a deer pinpoint, will spray lead at a hog like they have lost their mind. It simply amazes me.:confused:

From what I have seen, most hogs for some reason seem to get hit in the butt.

I can honestly say that I have ruined a ham or two over the years. It wasn't intentional, but when your up in tight cover, and shoot one, and twenty five or more bust out into mayhem, your aiming ahead of them and when they cross an opening you shoot. Where you hit them at that point is irreverent, you sort it out when the dust settles. But we mostly hunt to eradicate them from the property, we're no winning, but we at least make a dent when they get a bit thick. Don't get me wrong we bring several coolers and usually bring home plenty of fresh pork.

Hunt with full confidence that this round will do the job with ease if you do your job of putting it there.

Yes that is a good bullet for hogs and it will get the job done and then some. I hunt hogs year round and I would feel more than comfortable with a 165 grain '06 bullet from Sierra. All my father uses on hogs is 150 grain and 165 grain in '06 on hogs and he has never had any problems. So yes that is a competent a choice as any for hogs. Good luck to you and your son, hog hunting can be a very fun thing to get into.

That is also a good gun. I have a 760 carbine in 30-06 as a dedicated hog gun. It is set up with iron sights, a light, and a green laser for night hunting at a corn feeder. At 2am the laser comes in handy.

The same people that will place a round on a deer pinpoint, will spray lead at a hog like they have lost their mind. It simply amazes me.
Here, deer are a "game animal" with seasons and limits, whereas wild hogs are pests that most people are trying to eradicate.

There are a just few counties in the Western part of the state where the hogs have limits due to their being Russian Boar bloodlines moreso than feral domestic hogs

"...saw a hog shot 4 times and..." Shot placement is everything. Put any bullet into that armoured neck and it won't penetrate. A 165 placed right will kill any game in North America.

Yes you can hit bystander hogs while hunting them

I have clipped younger ones in the grass that I didn't see standing there while shooting an older sow.

Most pigs are encountered in groups, so a butt wound on one could easily be from an exit of another...

Yes most hog hunting is really just eradication and most pigs will get a bullet when encountered by a farmer...

Many people take running shots at much closer ranges than game animals so the action can be fast

No doubt that the bullet chosen will do the job...

Remember, the neck of a pig is a great target... It's much easier to hit than the heart... Unless you graze his neck, he will go down. Most things in his neck are required to continue his day... Most likely the hydrostatic shock will stop him with a neck shot

A little update. He hunted 2 days Not far from cherokee,nc on some family property. Unfortunately the only thing he took a shot at was a skoal can. Not sure if thats a good area for hogs or not, he didn't see any game at all.

I've only ever shot hogs with a bow. I've shot a lot of things with a 30/06. With a wide range of bullets and weights. I've yet to see anything that will take a '06 and not die quickly. Remember, with today's new powders and, handloaders understanding that the factory loaded '06 offerings are way under pressure, there is very little difference between the '06 and it's bigger brother the 300 Win Mag,. when properly loaded. A properly loaded '06 bullet out of a 24 inch barrel, is nipping at the heels of the 300 Win Mag. So, you got plenty of bullet and way more gun than needed to safely and easily accomplish the job at hand. God Bless

Back