16 gauge

Bigpatch

Inactive
Good morning
I was hoping I could get a little help identifying a 16 gauge double barrel

I'm not sure how old it is I'm guessing close to 100

The only markings on it are the serial number and a symbol at the breach. The symbol is a T inside of a circle inside of a triangle

Story goes my great uncle brought it back from Europe my dad ended up with it now I got it

I'm just trying to find out more about it

Attachments

• IMAG2626_1.jpg
    IMAG2626_1.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 120
T in a triangle is usually a Russian (Tula) marking. Perhaps this is a TOZ-B or TOZ variant? They were mainly in 16 and 20 gauge, so would make sense. Could be wrong.

Last edited:
My first thought was that since each barrel was marked that it was a "tested" proof mark. I don't see many tula cross bolts.

He is probably right, but it's weird to have no other marks. That may be one of the many firearms made by small shops.

Under neath the barrels and on the water table should be proof marks (if it is European). There will be various symbols and code markings. Take pics and post them here - someone should be able to give you a better answer that way.

Also, overall pics of the gun will help. It is hard to tell in your pic if that is a gap I see between the barrels and the breech - if it is, the gun is currently unsafe to shoot.

A couple more pictures sorry I'm not a photographer
You can see the serial number and a couple small markings

Attachments

• IMAG2629_1.jpg
    IMAG2629_1.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG2633_1.jpg
    IMAG2633_1.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 64
Tula made guns for export, but in nowhere near the numbers produced by the makers of Liege or Suhl, Russian guns always being considered less desirable than those of other gun-making centers. (Nor, AFAIK, were Russian proofs recognized in the West until recently.) I wonder if the OP's uncle came from Russia or a Russian controlled area (e.g, Poland or the Baltic states) and brought the gun to the U.S. when he came here.

Jim

Back