150 grn Partition,. 270 win.

hooligan1

I picked up a model 70, crf in .270 Winchester and Im going to test 150 grn Partitions and StaBall powder.
I know its relatively new, but has anyone else gave it a go?

I never had much luck with 150’s out of my 700’s producing groups that I was happy with. All of my attempts though were with 4064 though. Maybe you’ll have better luck.

Your .270Win is probably equipped with a barrel with a 1 in 10" twist. My experience is that the 150gr bullets does better with slower burning powder and 130gr bullets with faster burning powder. Something else is important when loading ball powder and that is that you must use a magnum primer since ball powder is difficult to ignite in low temperatures and could give delayed ignitions or double detonations (when only the top of powder is ignited and then the rest follow with a bang). The later could be dangerous.

Hard to keep up with all these newer powders. When I loaded for my .270 Win(Sako Finnbear), I loaded150gr Hornady Interlock FB bullet and around 57.0gr H4831. Very accurate and MV avg 2900 fps over the screens. I like the 150's in the .270.

My 270, bull elk use 150gr Partition with H-4831ssc. Few years ago drew one of our early buck tags(Co) and hunt was above timber and use 150gr ABLR with IMR-7828ssc. Both loads from Nosler manual.

Old roper did you like the performance of the ABLR?
I shot an 85 lb doe with one at 80 yds and it whistled right through her, just behind that leg joint, she didnt go far, maybe 45 yds but she marked her path good.
Another animal I shot was a coyote at 20 steps, dropped like an anvil.

I run either the Sierra game King or Nosler Partition, both bullets weight 150 gr. from my .270 Win. I won't give the load because the powder I use, Winchester's WMR has been gone a long time. I will add that the brass was Winchester and the primer Winchester's WLR, the standard and not the magnum. They've shot just fine on elk hunts as cold as 4 degrees above zero with no apparent change in POI. Maybe it might be a problem as 40 below zero but if it's that cold I'm staying home.
Paul B.

I picked up a model 70, crf in .270 Winchester and Im going to test 150 grn Partitions and StaBall powder.
I know its relatively new, but has anyone else gave it a go?
I shoot Staball under 130gr. Its very accurate and clean. IMO, there are better powders for a 150 gr. Staball is not bad, but its a bit fast for the 150.

Back