147 grain load

Micro man

Been experimenting with various hand guns to find a go to round.
Today I went to the range with my Beretta 92SB and 10 rounds of 9 mm loaded with a 147 Gr. TMJ from Hornady, 3.7 gr. Of Unique with CCI spp.

I got the load from Lyman 49 and while it’s the starting load for that bullet, I got nothing but stove pipes for the first 6 rounds. I’m thinking it’s because I have a mini- red dot mounted on the pistol.

Does anyone have a favorite round with that bullet weight ? I do have Bullseye,
Power pistol, HP-38 and W 231 powder to fall back on.

Thanks

and while it’s the starting load for that bullet

I've run a 147gr lead bullet through 9mm, and the starting load of any powder I tried wasn't enough to run the gun.

I suggest working up through the higher charges to find what your gun wants. Power Pistol is my go to for 9mm.

[edited for clarity]

I’m thinking it’s because I have a mini- red dot mounted on the pistol.

Possibly, likely in fact. Semi autos are balancing acts, energy of the round, weight of the moving parts, spring tension, etc.

Change the weight of the slide and now you have a different thing to balance.

Starting load (for anything) may or may not cycle a particular pistol. That's why its a starting load.

Adding weight to the moving parts changes the dynamics. Red dot, scope, suppressor or heavier spring all will have an effect and the amount of effect is variable due to several factors.

Increase your powder charge SLIGHTLY and see if the stovepipes go away.

Bump that load of Unique up to 4.3 grains .
I get my most accurate loads in 9mm Luger with Unique ... it's burn rate suits the 9mm's pressure .

I also find the 124 gr. Truncated Cone bullets to be a better all around performers in the 9mm Luger ...124 gr. JHP or JSP TC with 5.5 grs. Unique is a tack driver .

Gary

Back