140 yard shot with Uberti 1858.

maillemaker

Last weekend I was at a competition at our usual skirmish haunt, the range at the Brierfield Ironworks State Park. There is a gong on the right-most edge of the field about 120 yards away from the firing line, up on the backstop burm.

I was shooting 25 yard revolver, which was set up on the opposite end of the firing line, the left-most of the firing line. So as the crow flies, it was about 140-150 yards to the gong.

Having put 5 rounds into the target with my Uberti 1858 New Model Army Remington, I squeezed off the last one at the gong. A tiny "ting!" greeted our ears as a .457 round ball propelled by a mere 18 grains of 3F Goex connected with steel.

:)

LQwbBvO.jpg

With this gun and this load? I doubt it.

18 grains 3F, .457 round ball.

I don't think I'd want to be hit with it, but it's no Walker.

Based on this:

http://www.poconoshooting.com/blackpowderballistics.html

I'd say you are looking at a muzzle velocity of about 500 fps about a muzzle energy of around 70 ft-lbs.

Based on this:
http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/rbballistics/rbballistics.html

Punching the data into Excel and extrapolating I'd say that at 150 yards you are looking at a velocity of 280 fps with an energy of 25 ft-lbs.

This is about the same as the muzzle energy of a .22 caliber pellet rifle shooting at 900 fps.

I wouldn't want to be shot with it.

Steve

Let's see that shot with a service load. Those of who have fired black powder revolver have usually found the sights adjusted for longer ranges than we modern shooters usually fire at.

Let's see that shot with a service load. Those of who have fired black powder revolver have usually found the sights adjusted for longer ranges than we modern shooters usually fire at.

Those of us who shoot black powder revolvers competitively have already altered the sights to account for that. ;)

Steve

Awesome shot. It probably didn't have much energy at that distance, but I woudln't want to find out if my skin is tougher. I know it's not.

That would be cool to test out with a service load. I haven't altered any of mine for competition sight wise, but then again, I'm not sure i'm a good enough shot to hit the target ole Mailemaker did.

If you can do it once it's repeatable. It's just a matter of figuring out where on the barrel to use as a sight base so you can keep the front sight on target.

I actually shot at it 3 times when unloading the 6th round, only the first attempt hit.

However, I have done this similarly with my Colt Walker with 45 grains 3F. Probably a 120 yard shot on that one.

I also hit it the same day as the 1858 with my 1842 smoothbore musket from about 130 yards.

Steve

Paper and computer ballistics are not a valid comparison with regards to round balls powered by black powder. They kill far out of proportion and more effectively than their paper ballistics suggest.

Back